spin on oilfilter for 14-19-3

sbunch3

Does anyone have pros and cons for the varieties of spin on oil filter conversions on the 0470? There isn't much room there at the firewall. Is the remote like the AirWolf better and where do you mount it.Or go with the one like the FM engine mount? All listed in Aircraft Spruice. Or not bother and just change the oil every 25hr. The former owner recomended takeing the starter off to get to the oil screen, is that necessary? Any secrets to removeing the bottom cowl. It took me hours getting the two screws (behind the air filter) that hold the nose landing gear cover off and then on.
Thanks
New Bellanca 260 owner
Brent Bunch

Brent,

N6RJ a 14-19, with an IO470 from a 14-19-3 has an Airwolf system installed on the RH side of the firewall. Two years ago I installed a Challenger Filter with the Airwolf system. If I can figure out to get a couple pics out of the camera, and figure out how to upload them here I will.

Dan Schultz
N6RJ

Thanks, I'm not in any hurry. It's too hot here in humid sweltering Georgia to work more than an hour or so in this 105'F 95% humidity. It will cool down by December.
Brent

Lycoming told me one day that anything that gets through the oil screen will not hurt their engine. I ran one 0-360 to 3805 hours and the other on to 3150 on my Gernonimo with 0-360s. I would never go past 25 hours without inspecting the screen of filter. On both cases mentioned above I think that if I had been going 50 or 100 hours between screen inspections I would have had a catastrophic engine failure. As it was I never had a temperature problem. When I found more metal in the screen that I was comfortable with I decided to major the engines. I can't speak for the Continental on the same terms. I had a 14-19-2 with a Cont., and always changed oil every 25 hours. It had a screen, not a filter. Filters are a pain in the south when facing north.
Kent

Thanks for the photo, Looks like a job to do when I do the Overhaul. Since I'm at 1300hr now. I might as well wait until then. Thank you all for your info.
Brent

Back