Starter

lwford

Boys, has anyone installed a new starter on the OPEC 470? I was at OSH and on a mission ADS-B and starters. The SkyTec on a Lycoming works wonders but I cannot get any good info on it's performance with the Continental OPEC 470-K. I saw three triple tails but never got to see the owners C-FEDW,N7NL,N9823B. Garmin introduced a blind ADS-B out for $1800 bucks and Bendix King said they will introduce a game changer next year. I'm convinced further Hurry up and wait! Lynn the crate

Not the O-470, but I have a Sky-Tec ST3 on the IO-470-F and have been really happy with it. I'm sure it didn't help with my failing starter adapter (sigh), but can't blame that on the starter. It's been basically bulletproof for 4 years. My -3 already had a copper cable from the master solenoid to the firewall, and I replaced the battery cables and firewall forward starter cables, because they were looking awful, and that seemed to help even more. The 8 pounds off the nose and more consistent starts has been worth the money, in my opinion. Not sure it really spins significantly faster than the old Continental beast, but seems to use a lot less current doing it. Or I got better at hot starts. But there's a lot less praying the battery lasts long enough to start up these days. Up there with the alternator conversion (really, the move to solid state regulator) in the good money spent category.

The GDL-82 looks intriguing in that, like the G5s, you can buy one on Aircraft Spruce for a certified aircraft, and don't have to beg a dealer to find time to do the install. Hopefully, that's a trend that continues. If you have an IA who will do/sign off avionics work, hurry up and wait definitely seems the way to go. Around Seattle, the avionics shops are getting busy. It took a couple weeks just to schedule a software update for my Garmin panel mount GPS. But now I can follow the magenta line around a holding pattern; life's getting too easy.

Didn't make OSH this year, but my wife wants to take the -3 next year. Can't pass up a request like that :).

Lynn, very sorry that I did not get to meet you at OSH - sure owe you some big "THANK YOUs" for all the help over the years. Can't really offer an opinion on the starter issue, but Brian's comments seem to be some good validation for the Sky-Tec. Not sure about the Canadian triple-tail, but the other two machines are in the hands of new owners. N7NL, a 14-19-3, was purchased by a Bellingham, WA couple. N9823B was purchased late last year by a delightful young lady pilot from VA (this was previously Tom James' lovingly cared for -2). All very nice folks that we got to know at the Bellanca dinner. I think there is some growing energy among triple-tail owners to make a showing at OSH - hope you will consider bringing the "Crate"!

Rob58 said:
N7NL, a 14-19-3, was purchased by a Bellingham, WA couple.

There's another -3 in the Pacific Northwest? Cool! Between Dan, Russell, and Rock, I can barely taxi without seeing a -2, but -3s seem a bit more rare...

Lynn,
My 14-19-2 has the Skytec starter installed, and according to the logs, it has been installed for almost 6 years.
I can't judge against the old starter, but the skytec sure is pretty, and fits neatly behind the engine. Looks like a simple swap (but then again, I haven't seen the old one)
I haven't had any issues starting with It, and I was using a 7 year old battery and failing generator until a couple months ago.
A worthwhile investment IMO.

As for ADS-B, every year at Osh, all of the big players come out with a New, updated, less expensive ADS-B, there is apparently even one that is wireless now, and replaces a nav light!
So I am going to wait it out until the last minute. It will probably be even cheaper come 2019.
-Adam

Well boys looks like the SkyTec is the way to go. I cleaned all my battery connections and start relay connections. This helped. I have a Concord battery and I love it. I also have my eye on the Lear Romec fuel pump. I notice once in awhile fuel pressure bouncing on the three in one gauge. Turning the electric pump or the wobble pump on the fluctuations stop. Looks like a mother to change that puppy. Typical airplane they break when they fly and they break when they sit---your choice. Lynn the crate

I have had good luck with the Skytec and Concord combination.
Romec pump cores go for $2-500 and about $4-500 to O/H. Make sure the overhaul
facility knows the correct pressure setting,
Dan

Dan Cullman said:
I have had good luck with the Skytec and Concord combination. Dan
Ditto here. Because the Sky-Tec is much smaller than the Prestolite it replaced, I needed a longer power cable; Sky-Tec sent an extension.

I was able to change my fuel pump by taking the generator off and feeling for the bolts with a ¼” drive deep-well socket. You can’t see it. When my fuel pump failed it started pumping fuel overboard making the fuel burn even worse than it is normally! :shock: I found the problem by pumping the wobble pump with a helper watching the fuel pump vent tube.
Ralph

Back