Static Port Location

scottj

Alright, you would think I would have asked this question once before in the 10 years that I’ve flown and been all over and under my 14-13-2 but I got to thinking about this the other day when I removed the front and rear seats for new upholstery. Where was the factory static port installed on the Cruisair? And, was there an alternate air source provided? And yes, the fabric and vinyl for the new upholstery was purchased from Airtex for a legal upgrade. Nice folks at Airtex and prompt shipment of samples and final products.

Thanks
Scott

Interesting. Thank you for the replies. Further investigation required on my part as to why the static line is connected to all three instruments but doesn't return to or from the pitot tube. Instead the line (hose) is cut and left open under the dash. Never had any issues with either instrument(s) and all seem to be reading the same as the GPS in terms of altitude and airspeed.

Lynn, are the ports on both sides or only one? I ask because there is a blank hole about 3/8” ID on the right side of the fuselage about 12” past where the engine cowling ends. I wonder if that hole was for the static port at one time.

Scott, the static ports are on both sides aft of the baggage compartment. I put them like the Viking had them. I got them from aircraft junk dealer I think Wentworth maybe White a junked Super Viking. It was too long ago to remember and I did not write it down. I do remember them being very easy to install on the fabric. The p/n 196530 and 196378 from Bellanca AAC. Lynn the crate

Your looking at an air scoop not the static port. Before there were cooling fans the mfg. provided a small air scoop usually on the right side that was ducted to the radios which had hot tubes doing the work. I once did a SAT check on a Cardinal that had the scoop labeled as STATIC. When I showed him the real static port he was speechless. I got a good laugh on that one. Lynn the crate

Thanks to all for the replies. As it turns out Ralph was correct for my Cruisair. The static port is in the pitot tube. The open static line under the dash is a broken plastic tee fitting. Not sure how long or when the plastic tee broke. Purchased a brass 1/8” tee to eliminate any issues in the future. I have the scoop on the right side for cooling of the old tube radios, which are no longer installed and the two ports from the air scoop manifold in the interior are capped off. The hole I was referring to is below and forward of the scoop. Not sure what it was ever used for. Maybe it can be a conversation piece or guessing game at the October Columbia, CA fly-in.

That extra hole might be for a thermometer for OAT. I have one sticking out from my left side, with the gauge attached on the inside. It's almost like a short version of a cooking thermometer.

Back