STC'd oil filter for Franklin 150

blimpy

I just bought a used remote oil filter with STC for my 150 franklin.
Uses a champion filter.

Now the STC is apparently specific to the engine.. but I dunno if it is approved for the cruisair.

did I just step in it ?

babe in the woods aka larry :oops:

Larry,
SoCalPlaneDoc wrote a pretty good post on how to work with the FAA to get a field approval. It is safer to get the approval BEFORE you invest in the part (I wish I had done that). Usually the mfg will supply the necessary info.
I have noticed that some oil and air filter 337 were written for the engine, others for the airframe. Mine are both written for the engine, and now that I am looking at replacing it with a 165, I can foresee that I may generate excessive stomach acid getting them approved for the new engine. Ref previous post on the subject.
I would recommend getting the approval for the airframe in your case if you can. Doing so will let you avoid having to get a new one when/if you replace the engine.

Just reread your post...Your STC'd filter should list what engines it is approved for. This list is called the AML (approved model list). If the Franklin 150 is listed, you just need to complete a 337 and submit it. You don't need a field approval. If the engine is not on the AML you can try to see if the mfg will add it (good luck!) If they won't, then you have to get a field approval or your own STC. More of a pain, but doable if you can find a sympathetic FSDO to work with. 'Course am not sure if the FSDO's are even open right now what with the national freak show we have going on right now.
What kind of oil filter did you get? I have an AC filter set up on mine, and it is approved, so if you also have one, I would be glad to email you my paper work. Let me know.
LL

Hi All,
I put an STC'd Air Wolf oil filter on my Stinson 165HP Franklin. Website says it fits Franklin and Bellanca w/Franklin engine. It was a high quality product that worked well.

Jack

I take care of a Stinson 108-3 with Franklin 165. It has an Airwolf external filter. Like Jack stated it is a high quality product and works very well. Lynn the crate :!:

Duh.. I kinda forget :lol:
It isn't here yet, and it's been a couple of weeks since I bought the thing, and I was too busy to do\
all the "due diligence" I should have tracking the model, STC, and etc.

But it is coming with honest to god STC from mfgr , and is being removed from a
Stinson with 150 hp franklin.

I think it is air wolf or B&G.

Time will tell.

Plane goes in for 25 hour AD's on aeromatic prop, aileron idler pulley, cowling braces, and landing gear something or other.

So, hope to deal with the paperwork then...or start it.

thingus should arrive soon. 8)

What do you mean 25hr AD on the Aeromatic?? There is none. Koppers, Univair and Tarver recommend that you check the lubrication level in the hub every 25 hours. I have found through practical experience, that once a year or 100 hours is enough. I rarely add more than a half ounce at this time.
Dan

The oil filter's origin appears (if I am reading between the line correctly) to be an AC OF-100
STC 4178NM lists the 6A-150-B3 in the AML. No aircraft is designated.

The (Stinson) 337 I was given along with the STC mentions some mumbo jumbo about The Sky Companies and Turbo Tech
Report Of-100 ( no copy of that and can't google it) more or less ok so far because this is for the Franklin

and then:
some crap about STC SA637NM and AC OF-104 and Sea Plane Flying Inc.. which stc has nothing to do with oil filters
and Installation Instructions SF 20699.

What a lot of tuna.

Lil Red Aero meantime is the holder of the STC 4178NM... which lists stinsons and some others with franklins
but nothing about bellancas.

Whole load of crap.. and $300 worth of oily parts in a bag. Which I haven't looked at closely yet
( too busy) but appears to me to be a $ 10 AC spin on oil filter adapter, some hose, and the oil pressure relief
housing from a franklin.

I mentioned the tuna right ? :oops:

Dan, yeah there is a 25 hour AD on the aeromatic, which involves removing the balance bands, and inspecting for cracks underneath, and also inspecting hub welds for cracks. I don't have it here, but I will get you the AD number and text.
I just read it yesterday. Whether one uses dye penetrant or not I dunno.. but seems appropriate .

Shouldn't take more than an hour. Just more money for the A&I.

What lubricant do I use in the hub ?

I thought maybe I would drain it and refill.. just for the heck of it.

larry

Larry,
You had the opportunity to meet Kent Tarver this summer at Columbia.
I suggest you go to Aeromatic.com, review what information is available and call Mr. Tarver to discuss any work that must be done on the Aeromatic propeller. DO IT!
I don't want to hear about the termite inspection due on your propeller blades.
Dan

Back