Stick that in your Cruisair-????

gjordan

I was just looking on Ebay at Franklin parts and came across a 12 cylinder Franklin for sale. I had seen drawings of the 12 cylinder, but I didnt know that they actually produced any. It appears to have double turbo chargers. It just goes to show how inovative the Franklin engine company was. I just thought other Franklin lovers would enjoy looking at it. Only 2 days to go on the auction. I wonder about a 337 into my Cruisair? (oops, I must return to sanity) _____Grant.

Very interesting, what a hunk of metal.

Maybe for an experimental race plane or prototype fighter.

The history would be a good story.

I keep thinking it would be good spare parts to keep the PLANES OF FAME Northrop Flying Wing flying. They have trouble finding parts for their 8 cylinder Franklins, and I think that the top ends of the 8 and 12 are the same. I read that somewhere years ago. Just a thought. _____Grant.

gjordan said:
I keep thinking it would be good spare parts to keep the PLANES OF FAME Northrop Flying Wing flying. They have trouble finding parts for their 8 cylinder Franklins, and I think that the top ends of the 8 and 12 are the same. I read that somewhere years ago. Just a thought. _____Grant.

It was flying a couple of weeks ago too.

2h35vuu.jpg

Ever since I talked to the ground crew of the flying wing at an air show, I have wondered when it will be grounded by the lack of parts. It is a beautiful plane and a great piece of history, and should be kept flying. Twice I have called the museum to tell them about a Franklin that might be good for spares for the 8 cylinders. I dont think any parts from our 150/165 are interchangable, so these little known, oddball Franklins may be a source. Franklin sure was inovative. ____Grant.

I am pretty sure the Flying Wing has 8 cylinder engines, not 12. I suspect many of the top end parts would be interchangable, but not sure and information on those engines is rare. ____Grant.

I just saw the 12 cylinder on Barnstormers for a much lower price. Interesting???? I plead insanity. ____Grant.

Back