Stupid Generator Question

blimpy

Is there an oil seal on the input end bearing on the cruisair generator.

Mine leaks nicely... one of the last leaks on the engine... and it doesn't really appear to be primarily
from the mounting gasket.

Figures there must be seal there.. and that the oil is leaking from the accessory case that way.

I've been burnt by that and it turns out to be the tack drive gasket! Just a heads up when you attack. Lynn :shock:

actually, I got burned buying a new tach drive, and paying $400 to have it installed,
when I could have done it ( brail method) in under an hour.

Old one didn't leak... although the finger "nut" for the speedo cable was bent

Changed nothing.

Starter still is the source of the leak.

P.O. ( A&P) couldn't get the starter out, so he fished in a base gasket from the front
after removing the blow by casting. More uselessness.

So, repeating the question:

Does the shaft of the Starter have an oil control seal at the bearing ?

( gotta have one ).

That POS is what I need to fix, I am sure. :twisted: :roll: :shock: :? 8) :lol: :idea: :mrgreen:

Ok so what are we talking about here, the starter, the generator or the tach drive? I'm confused.
Have you looked in your parts list by chance? I know there is one for the starter, listed as PN 17741. As I recall it is on the forward side of the case between the motor and the case. Don't remember if there's one on the other side at the Bendix. I would guess there would be. Might want to check with Susan.

ok confusion came with the old fat guy wrote generator... when he meant Starter.

Starter is the leaky thingus. :lol:

You know the lump on top !

L.

engine manual describes how it works and pic shows main components only.
no details about bearing or associated seals.

parts manual lists a few things.. gasket.. presumably the paper one.
which aint the problem or not the main one.

anyway.. time to go to some prestolite specific docs someplace else.

manual says, remove and disassemble every 300 hours or 5 decades.. whichever comes first.

:shock:

you know getting old is hell.

when I bought my 35 Plymouth in the later 60's.. it was already and "antique"
but it was no problem to trot it into an auto electric shop.. .where they took one look at it
Said" you've got the old cut-out relay and the 15A generator" what you need is a 48 dodge generator
and a real voltage regulator- come back tomorrow and we'll have it ready"

now you and me and 3 other guys are the last men standing who know what the bleep
a generator is, and how a mechanical voltage regulator works.. maybe I'm the last guy'who ever really
adjusted on one the bench.

I dunno.
:roll:

Back