Tail Brace Wire

Ralph925

When I returned home from a check ride one of the tail brace wires was broken! :shock:
Is there a secret stash of these anywhere?
I am measuring mine but if anyone has the stock sizes that would help me know I am getting it right.
Now that my plane is down I am reduced to driving the car, crawling along the ground, in the dirt, like a bug. I really need to get this fixed.

I don't have the stock size, but I bought a wrecked Cruisair for parts not long ago. I'll check the 'remains' this weekend and see if I have a set of wires.

Best Wishes,
Brad Donner
NC86916

The wire that is broken is the upper rear on the left side. The wire is 50.25” long with a 10-32 thread.
I think that makes it a AN673AC-5025
The left hand end has a clevis AN665-21L
The right hand end has a nut with a spherical shape. I have not found that number yet.
Ralph

Ralph, call Carroll at Alexandria A/C. 320-763-4088. I think the only source of new flying wires is Scotland. I remember Bill Reeves had one break on his -3. Robert at the club would be a good source for a used wire. Lynn :p

The Scotland firm that Lynn was referring to is Brunton's Aero Products. They are represented in the US by Steen Aero Lab. Contact is Cheryl Everette, phone: 321-725-4160. Try them if Alexandria can't help. --Rob

Thanks Rob,
Cheryl is off until Monday. The problem is they are talking about 12-14 weeks to get a wire! Half the summer will be gone and I will have died of serious speed withdrawal symptoms (ground sickness). :(

Ralph, I will look in the morning. I probably have one, but it may not be pretty. It could get you back up in the air for the summer while you wait for a new one. Email me with some contact info so we can talk. Grant <gjordan14132@yahoo.com>

I was able to find a usable wire locally. I will be ordering a set of wires soon then change them all this fall when the clouds ice up and keep us on the ground.
Thanks for the help. I thought I was in trouble there for a few days.
Ralph

Back