Tail wheel leaks oil.

Gary Brink

My 1413-2 tail wheel is leaking oil. I bought new seals and installed them a couple of years ago but it continued to seep oil. Recently, I took it off and put in a second set of new seals and it is still leaking. Kevin at Webers suggest that I may have overfilled it so I also drained some of the oil....and it still seeps. Is there supposed to be an O ring on top of the seals?
Gary Brink

Gary, two thoughts. You should have the gland nut at the top, do not overtighten, then the female, then the garlock seals( stack) then the male. All seals with the lip up. You might want to add some Granville strut seal. If you are really desperate, don't use 5606 subsitute light machine oil. The thicker viscosity won't leak and the strut still works the same. Google Garlock seals gives the big picture. Press On -Lynn the crate :idea:

Thank you, Lynn. Now as soon as I figure out what the heck most of the item are that you described, I'll get right on it. :shock:
Gary

Lynn, I had to opportunity to pull the tail wheel apart this past week-end and I only have the gland nut on top but nothing is below it except for the seals. Do you have the parts that I would need and if so, are you interested in "fixing" my tail wheel so it doesn't leak.....or can you recommend someone?
Thanks,
Gary

Gary If your from MI go see AAC for the parts and service. I got my seals from Dan Cullman out of Seattle area. The hyd shop I used went under in the O man economy. Russell has a good write up on his tailwheel check his site. Lynn the crate 8)

I did get my seals from a hydraulic shop but I live in Minnesota and there was only the nut on top and seals below it. I'm missing some parts. Any other suggestions out there or does anyone have the parts that I need and are willing to part with?
Gary

Gary,
If you have decent chevron packings and they installed like an upside down "V," the only reason for a leak is a corroded, pitted piston shaft. This was true in my 14-13. If this is the case, you can hard chrome back to std. or find another decent shaft. As Lynn said, use light motor oil and some Granville.......
Dan

I just noticed that Lynn mentioned "lip up." The hydraulic action in the tailwheel is opposite to that in the 14-13/14-13-2 series main landing gear. The main gear packings are installed "lip up," with the female end next to the lower bushing. On the tailwheel shock strut everything is upside down, but the female end of the stack is still butted against the threaded bronze bushing which is now on top of the whole assembly. Get it??? Lynn, your strut might start to leak as well. huhuhuhu.
Dan

Dan, your right I should of said lip down pointing at the wheel. I remember I put them in wrong the first time and like everything had to redo it again. Owning a plane =it never ends! Lynn the crate :oops:

So many owners of these airplanes let the struts run dry. Ever wonder why the shaft is worn undersize or rusty. I've seen the taxi springs broken in several pieces as well.....
Dan

Dan, how much oil do I put in the tail wheel? My I.A. told me that I may have overfilled it and that would cause it to leak so I did take it off and drained out some oil but it continues to seep.
Gary

Back