Tail Wheel Steering Plunger

Ralph925

Last weekend I noticed that when I used right rudder on the ground the tail wheel clicked out of engagement before it should leaving me with left ground steering but no right ground steering. Examining the tail wheel, I found the plunger that engages the steering yoke had worn the aluminum housing badly. Also, the flange on the bottom of the lower brass bushing was worn almost through.

To repair the aluminum housing, I reamed the hole larger and installed a bushing back to the size of the 5/8” plunger. Using a piece of bronze stock, I made a new lower bushing. I installed it back in the tail tube and drilled the grease and mounting holes through the tail tube. After cleaning everything up and putting on the new tail wheel tire I have been meaning to put on I am back in good shape.View attachment 1View attachment 2

Maintenance Note:
Here is one more thing to add to your triple tail specific annual inspection list:

Take a look at the thickness of the flange on the bottom of the brass bushing holding the aluminum housing in place. If this bushing wears through the aluminum housing holding the top of the nut cracker will fall down the shaft and you will lose tail wheel steering. The top and bottom photos in my above post show this flange.

Back