Tailwheels

lwford

Sure enough the crate has a problem. My tailwheel slipped a bushing and I lost the spring loaded plunger that locks and kicks out the tailwheel. My old drawings say this is p/n 15085-3 plunger lock pin. It is 9/16 od and drilled 1/2 for the spring about 7/8 long. Alexandria Bellanca was no help. I e-mailed Cy and Robert. Does anybody have an old one that I can buy? This is for a14-19-2. My worst case is to have one made by a machinist and then make it work. Let's see if the good old forum can help as i'm on the ground. As any IA knows tailwheels take a beating. Lynn :cry:

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. If you do not find a replacement part I will be happy to make one for you if you have a drawing (or even a sketch). I have all the machine shop tools to make just about anything. --Rob

Lynn, I no longer have parts lists, but someone with a Cruisair might check and see if that plunger is the same on both planes. I think it is a good chance that it is. If so, I might have one. I have a whole list of things to look for in my scattered collection of parts, so I will get to my storage in a few days and look. _____Grant.

Well, I went and saw my machinist friend and he made me one in about 30 minutes. Looks good so I will install it tomorrow. I then get home and found e-mail from Cy. He found one on top of his file cabinet so I made him an offer. Cy said he is now 82 and his wife has Alzheimer's he hasn't worked on planes for 2 years. Wow I was shocked as he is a great guy and has helped a lot of Bellanca boys. He runs the emergency repair at OSH. As always the man to come to when your in trouble.Lynn :shock:

Lynn, Glad it worked out for you. Sorry to hear about Cy. So many of our knowledgable people are getting on in years, or many have flown West already. Our airplanes seem to have to get along with less and less experienced people. I hope people pass on as much info as is possible. ____Grant.

Lynn:

I'm glad you were able to find your part! I don't know if it's the same part as on the 14-13, but I just made an offer on a 14-13 carcass that was heavily damaged when a tornado hit its hangar years ago. If my offer is accepted, I'll bring the remains home and make a list of the parts that are available.

Best Wishes,
Brad

The plunger and spring on the tailwheel is the same in both the 1413 and the 1419 tail draggers. When I restored my bird, I needed both parts and found them in a box at Alexandria Aircraft. It is in an area with obsolete or parts without part numbers. There are still a few of each in that box.

Gary, that is a surprise. I called Carroll and if he would of found it I would of bought it. Without that part I had a static display. Price was not an object as I was AOG. Lynn :shock:

The part that holds the piston was badly worn on my plane. Carroll said they didn't have any but I found one. Undoubtedly the last new one in the world but it went on my plane. In his defense, all of those old parts had been stuck back in a corner in various places with little organization. The Viking parts are well organized.

Bellanca Boys, I now have a spare steering collar with spring and plunger. Keep that in mind if your plane becomes a static display as mine did. Thank you Cy! Lynn the crate :D

Back