Tank covers and fuel senders

Jarod

Hi. I've been reading all the previous posts on tank covers. I like Dan's advice of using the stronger Finnish birch. One idea I am considering for fastening the new covers down is to drill out holes for very small screw inserts, like the attached photo. They use a 6-32 screw and are only .188" diameter. This would prevent worrying about wood screws working loose. I would use Threadlocker on the machine screws. My thought is this would be a good long-term fastening solution for the tank cover and I could avoid gluing it down and maybe instead use 3M 08500 auto body sealant and silicone release agent, Stoner A635 Food Grade Silicone Lubricant like Dave Pasquale uses for wing root fairings (an easy to remove sealant). Any thoughts?

Also, any recommendations for an inexpensive replacement for our old Stewart Warner fuel senders? Mine both need rebuilding, and I don't want to venture into this myself (or pay the rebuilding cost)?

Jarod

Besides bellanca I do own Scheibe SF25C Falke motorglider. All inspection cover screws on it are done using such inserts.

THEY ARE REAL PAIN IN THE ASS.

Even stainless screws do stuck inside after several months due to oxidation, inserts themselves attract moisture and 2 years after complete rebuild and recover there are traces of rot around them.

I do not recommend using them.

I have mine out right now and the original screws do not bother me but the senders now that is a different story, have six senders two are odd balls one is a stewart warner after market do not know the number off hand but can get it tomorrow. The factory ones read half tank with float all the way down, have not tried them in the plane, maybe a resistor in line??

Many years ago the factory changed to gluing the tank covers down and making the tanks removable from underneath. I believe Dan Tory glues the covers on Cruisairs and just makes a new one if it has to get opened up again. Leaking tank covers have caused the death of more Bellancas than any other thing. Just something to think about. _____Grant.

Hey guys, thanks for the input! Besides the screw inserts having potential problems, it's probably a good deal of exacting work to install them. I'm going to just bite the bullet and have the tank cover scarfed in and glue it down. I wonder if there's a glue that could be released by heating to a certain temperature, so the cover wouldn't have to be destroyed during removal. I'm probably over-thinking this whole thing.

I just ordered two of those Steward Warner senders, #391A-F and #391B-F. They were $27/ea at SummitRacing.com. If they don't perform for some reason, I'll be able to replace them, as I am installing the sender access covers in my tank covers. Yeah, I know, another possible water entry area. Any advice on a good design for that, please chime in. Thanks again!

Back