That stingy/recurrent 14-19 re-engine question pops again...

kitepilot

Hello Collective Intelligence:
My braindead-dumb-single-self has read all the posts I could find about 14-19 re-engine options and I can't still come up with an answer for the following question:

Is it possible to (reasonably priced) re-engine a 14-19?
Is it possible in the current state of affairs to obtain an “AD free Hartzel prop” for a straight 14-19 with the O-435 engine?

This is the scenario that I am portraying:
I get the 14-19, take it to the shop, go out on a cruise/retreat/sweat-lodge/you-name-it and come back to pick up my shinny airplane with a new engine.

No, I am not that lazy, I am an 'screw(ed)driver-challenged' computer geek that just refuse to undertake some ambitious tasks, like for example fixing car brakes or steering wheels...

If the options are out there, how much will they cost (save “the parts”) and who has control over them?
Will the 14-19 simple go thrown into extinction because there are no more props (or victims willing to foot the cost of the AD)?

Thanks in advance, and please excuse my ignorance.
Enrique A. Troconis
Ex-Viking Driver.
14-19(-2) owner wannabe.

I do believe that a few people have got field approvals to put O470 or IO 470 in 14-19. You might want to check with Alexandria Aircraft.
Larry

Well, I have made a few phone calls and the feeling I get is that:
'nobody knows anything about nothing'
:(

Two unanswered questions linger:
1.- Is it possible to install an 'AD free Hartzel prop' on a straight (Lycoming) 14-19?

2.- How difficult (work-wise and FAA-wise) would it be to take the 'windshield-forward nose' of a junked '-2' (sad) and install it 'as-is' on a straight 14-19?
Has anybody tried that?
It seems to me that it would be a relatively easy-to-sell (to the FAA anyway) 'bolt-on' conversion.
What am I missing?
Thanks
ET

ET, my 2cents. It is hard to deal with the FAA. Like all Govt. it protects itself and obtaining a field approval for your firewall forward is like the snowball in hell. Hartzell never made a thing that didn't have an AD in due time. The 14-19 series is not worth much money. They are( I call) a cult airplane. It is a real bang for the buck but they are not worth over 35k for a real good one. This is my opinion and experience. I love them and they fly great, so I am part of the cult. They must be hangared and require some wrenching. It is best to try to find a 19 with recent prop overhaul and use the people who did the AD. Hartzell wants the props out of the system so it seems. We had a very bad experience with a Navion Hartzell prop. The fix was a Hartzell without the AD only cost 14k on a 30k plane! Hartzell gave them a shirt and a hat. Great PR don't you agree. Lynn the crate :eek:

Enrique,
I am sure Robert Z at the club would have information on some that have made the change. There was one in ND that belonged to an FAA employee. I seem to recall that the only limitation was that he couldn't get the extra 100 lbs gross wt increase. Give Robert a call.
Larry
ps Unfortunately Lynn is right on about working with the FAA. They wanted me to go to a DER to put an O-360 in my Cruisair even though I had approval to use a previous one time STC and also 3 different field approvals. The FAA just didn't want to bother. Needless to say, paying a DER plus the investment in the engine/prop just didn't make sense at this point in my life. I wouldn't even recover the cost of the engine, let alone the whole plane/engine/prop. If you think Cruismasters are cult planes, try a Cruisair! :) There is one for sale on Barnstormers for $12.5 K!!!???

For a straight 14 19 with the 0-435, have Kent Tarver build you an Aeromatic. They were original equipment on the 14-19 so you dont have to kiss anyones back side to put it on. Kent still has a few of the hubs for the splined shaft and can build new blades. I doubt the price will be anywhere near what Hartzel wants, and once you get the adjusment down they are silly simple props. He can build the blades in the traditional black or in clear that looks like varnish. Adds a touch of class to a classy plane.____My 2 cents worth.___Grant.

I don't know squat about the Lycoming... but the Aeromatic is neater than pre-sliced bread!
Nothing to fiddle with.. but it gives my cruisaire the book speeds the fixed pitch guys can't obtain,
and no work load in the cockpit either.

Like the man said.. call Mr. Tarver.

Back