The Price of Flying Wires

Bernie Ferrie

Guys,
Just got a quote for a new set of flying wires and fittings for a Cruisemaster - $1950.00
I know their is 8 but thats a lot of money!!! That was from Steen Aero Lab. I tried Bruntons and they were about $1500. Still good money.
I recall getting a set for my Cruisair for about $180 back in 1992, boy time flys!! They are still good as new.I better lock them up they are worth allot of money.
On the off change everyone has a set of Stainless Steels ones sitting around do you want to sell them?
I think I miss Mc Whytes.
Bernie

Here is an old, but great video from Asher Shapiro, from MIT showing how much more a round shape contributes to drag than a streamlined shape. This is pretty enlightening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftq8jTQ8ANE

Anyone know where I can get streamlined wires for the tail of my Cruisair?!!

Larry,
Other than Brunton's/Steen, You might try "A-Wheels" who advertises in the back of Sport Aviation. I bought most of the flying wires for my "CH" from Jerry at that business. This was Nick D'Appuzo's stock of McWyte wires. I have some NOS Cruisair carbon steel sets - but they are reserved for future 14-9 projects.

Dan,
Well, I have always wanted a Cruisemaster and have been watching them for along time. The Aussie Dollar is now equal to your dollar, so American aircraft are good value over here. Bellanca low wing aircraft offer excellent bang for buck, so I'm in the market. I think I have found a nice one in Texas N9805B, Chuck Tully is selling. My local Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer- (LAME) will be in America so he will have a look at it for me, if all good I will make the purchase. He will have to sign it off here and knows the Cruisair well, he love timber, rag and tube and is also a fan of Bellancas, so hopefully all good. We will stick it in a container and ship it over.
Now back to subject, I know this Cruisemaster has Carbon steel flying wires and I like the Stainless Steel one as they do not rust. Bugs and stones chip the painted wires and your painting them again. I know the Cruisemaster ones are difficult to remove. So while putting it together over here I would like to fit new ones
I hear you say what about the Cruisair? Don't worry it is progressing but not quick enough- a shortage of time. Bloody work!!

regards
Bernie
I

Back