They're Within Three of Us, Damnit!

Jonathan Baron

We've led this tiny league for a long time but now that Citabria/Scout and whatever G.M. never made crowd is within three posts (two after I hit Submit) of leading this forum.

Thus, I propose we stick up for G.M. and do some chatting ourselves. Yeah, it's silly, but it's winter...a time when we need silly things.

A most popular topic on the Luscombe list I subscribe to, is first solos. You don't steal from your friends...you borrow <cough>.

When was your first solo, where did it take place, and what were you flying. I hate that question because I feel my first solo was crap. My first Luscombe solo, however, mattered. My first Bellanca solo was a Yeeeeehaaaawwww event that mattered. So let me begin.

First Luscombe solo
OMH, former W93 in Orange, Virginia
May 18, 1999
Luscombe 1516B

First Bellanca Solo
AWO...to Redding, Ca, Modesto, Apple Vally CA, and Demming NM
October 25, 2003
Bellanca 6561N

Yep, I had her awhile before I flew her with just me aboard.

Chime in, Brothers and Sisters :)

Jonathan

Jonathan didn't say whether we had to tell the truth or lies are acceptable. .......I was going to Christian Heritage College in San Diego in the 70's studying aviation. The ex-military "Colonel" who ran the aviation department asked me to take a singing group to Denver & that I could use his (sacred) Super-Viking. He gave me a quick check out (I was shocked how squirrley the dang thing was on the ground)... he got out......& I took it to Ramona to do some crash & dash where I learned that it not only was worse than a taildragger, but had lousy brakes, but once in the air was all fun. I couldn't resist on the way back to SEE to make that dial pass 200 on the descent. Always wanted one since, but will be content with its little uncle my Cruisair. Planebones always the dreamer

Never had a yearning for one, Bones...though I can understand why folks would. Never flew in one, however. I asked for a ride once but was told, "No point...it just feels like an overweight Cruisemaster."

I'm a dreamer too, but I dream of Wacos and Skyotes :)

Well....this topic seems to have gone over about as well as shedding a wing in flight. I guess the subject line was a mite dumb, and Lynn is offline at the moment :( Thanks for jumping in, though, and dispensing with that uneasy zero in the replies column. :p

Jonathan

I have a 47 cruiseair and a 74 Viking. You land the Viking just like the cruisair. The folks that maintain Vikings (Millers in plainview) will tell you land just like a tailwheel plane at 3 point . My brakes are better on the Viking. You have to remember that the Viking empty weight is about 2300 pounds.Takes alot to stop. 300 horse are heavy but will put you back in the seat. The Viking will cruise at 165 kts.@14 gph. :lol: :lol: :D Life is great

Back