thinking of a airtex interior kit------photos anyone?

decatman

If somebody out there can answer a question or two and maybe a photo would be great! I just got a 1973 8 K-CAB (traded my tri-pacer for it) It has new engine and prop, new wing and covering but the interior is thrashed! I got a few estimates on new ones and they ranged from $3500-$7000. American Champion told me to call Airtex. I am about to order a kit, I don't need a headliner, So I'm looking at about $1050 for seats, carpet and side panels. Huge savings.

Did you need to send in your old side panels first?
Do you get everything you need, including the panel in front of the battery box? (rear cargo area?)
How was install and fit?
I would appreciate any advise in this area and thanks!

I used airtex interior on my 79-7gcaa. Everything came with it. Was a straight forward installation. Was expecially easy for me because I installed the interior prior to covering the airframe (factory does this too). I actually could staple the side panel bottoms from outside the frame to hold them down. You'll have to come up with another method with the cover on!

send me your email address and I'll send you photo's. I guess we can't post any on this forum.
my email ernstmfg@aol.com

airtex will send you a couple charts of samples for a few bucks which they will take off your order.
nice to actually see the fabrics before you buy.

I recently purchased an entire interior kit from Aitex (3 weeks ago). The experience so far has been less than positive. I first tried contacting them before Christmas, and was a little understanding that it took 3 seperate phone calls to get someone to return the inquiry being that it "twas the season". I ordered the headliner, side panels, carpet and seat cushions, choosing from the supplied sample material. I was told 1-2 weeks for the headliner and carpet and 5-7 weeks for the seats and side panels. It was great to see that they are staying so busy! The problem is this: My headliner showed up on Thursday, I was excited to open it and see the new addition to my Scout. I was very disappointed. The quality of the headliner was very poor, with sloppy stitching (not straight), cheap zippers installed and the 3 openings poorly cut by freehand (no straight edge used). I was surprised to see that the edges of the opening were not folded over and finished as they were originally from the factory. I immediatley called Airtex and was given Dodd's voicemail (the owner). I explained that I had a problem. 4 business days later and still no response from Airtex. I will not be installing this headliner and I am considering cancelling the remainder of my order.

Back