Timing a 165 Franklin?

dtreid

What is the best method to time a 165 Franklin. The way things are placed I can't see the timing marks.

Well, since I can see that you have had a large reply(?) I'll throw my two cents in. I put a pencil or something else in #1 cyl and move it to what appears to be TDC. It is pretty close. Then rotate the prop 28deg back, by putting an indicator on the prop. I have checked this method when I had the nose bowl off and could see the timing marks on the flange. I then put a mark on the prop hub, so all I have to do is take the spinner off. Seems to have worked for me. I did get a TDC indicator made from an old spark plug, but it didn't work all that well. Probably could if I worked on it some more. The plug angle on our Franklins do make us work a little harder. You could also get or borrow a Time-Rite, but they are pretty spendy.
I would be interested in how others do this too.
LL

Basically the same for me, Larry, but use 32 degrees BTC on the 165. You are allowed +/- 2 degrees and ACM suggests that timing on the 150 might be benefitted by setting 29 or 30 degrees on the right mag. I use a Sears angle finder on the hub/spinner to confirm. Nowadays, you can get a digital angle finder. It's all in the service manual....basic A&P 101.
Dan

Back