Tired of hand cranking.

nvracer

Have any of you guys converted to electric landing gear operation? I am getting tired of hand cranking.

Ray
N33GM

Hey Ray, have you thought of trying a hydraulic system? With our limited electrical, I think it makes more sense. I love mine-it takes 6 strokes to raise the gear...almost as fast as a manual Mooney...at least when I'm hyper!

I believe there are two systems available.
Larry

I also have a hydraulic gear on my 14-13-2. It is from a 14-19 using the emergency pump for the hydraulics.
Larry I have not forgot the gear doors. I will talk to Les about making another set and send them to you. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the input. Does anyone have the list of parts, drawings & STC or 337 for the hydraulic gear conversion?

Ray

N33GM

I have a 337 for the hydraulic gear. It is with one that has a recovering job,a rebuild of the gear and the hydraulics add. It say's they used Bellanca drawings B G K No.4 They have a new weight and Ballance on the bottom of the page and that is it. It was handled thru Reg. 2 FW GASDO4 whoever that is. The location were the work was done is Brownsville Texas. :lol: :lol:

Hey y'all-
I've been told the 14-19 retract struts will not work with the 14-13 main gear.
I have the pump, two cylinders, and the will to change over, but no real numbers so to speak. I even located a left and right 14-19 drag strut set, but didn't buy them because I was told it wouldn't work.
I don't see why I couldn't pull the screwjack retract struts off, add the two spar brackets for the hydraulic cylinders, swap out the retract struts for two 14-19 hydraulic struts, install the hydraulic lines, add a reservoir somewhere, and start pumping! I sure would like to.
Harvey Leydecker of McCalla, AL says this is the way to go, but I sure am getting alot of flak over this.
I'd hate to do all that work only to find it doesn't work.
My retract chain axle already has a sprocket on it for the electric motor. Maybe this is the way to go :?:

Dave:

My 14-13-3 came to me with an electric motor installed. I think it's been there from the beginning -- a factory installation -- but I have no paperwork to establish that. The motor is located under the co-pilot's seat and is in a mounting WELDED to the transverse tubular structure under the seats. If you're going to duplicate this installation, the time to do it would be before you cover the fuselage since you may have to do some welding.

That said, I should mention that I've been told by other participants in this "chat room" that the factory installation of an electric motor was somewhere else and eliminated the hand crank entirely. In my installation, the motor is held in place against spring tension by a "pin", which is actually the "unnecessary" crank handle. In case of a malfunction of the electric motor, the pilot can reach under the co-pilot's seat and pull the crank handle out -- thereby releasing the spring, which pulls the motor out of the gear retraction/extension system -- out of the bicycle chain circuit. The now freed and loose hand crank can then be inserted by the pilot into the usual place in the trunk between the fron seats and the gear can be raised or lowered in the conventional, manual manner.

In fact, I have two gear handles -- the one under the co-pilot's seat functioning as a "pin" to hold the electric motor in the gear retraction/extension mechanish -- the other in the conventional location where I can watch it being spun by the electric motor during the retraction and extension cycles -- and "help" the electric motor if I feel like it (the gear retracts faster with manual "help").

I have one picture of the motor installation which I can Email you if you are interested. Again, I have no paperwork on the installation.

Brendan Carmody

I'd love to see good pictures of the electric motor installation. Please use my other e-mail:

8) flyer.59 @ comcast.net 8)

Please be aware I put spaces around the @ so my e-mail address doesn't get scavenged. :D also emoticons on the ends.

Thanks a million Brendan

Brendan, I got an electric motor from Harvey and want in install it on my 14-13-2, the sprocket is already on the chain axle. could you e-mail pictures of your installation, Please E-Mail me at darrell_long@SBCglobal.net Thank's

I've Emailed the only picture I have of the electric mortor installation. It's not the best -- I didn't take it as an aid for someone trying to duplicate the installation. BUT, IF YOU THINK YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO DUPLICATE THE INSTALLATION WITH SOME MORE PICTURES, I'LL TAKE A FEW MORE FOR YOU. I won't be able to get too close because of the simple camera I'm using, but I'll try whatever angles you'd like. I could take a few measurements too.

Brendan:

Try my regular e-mail for the picture. It's the one that's active on this forum. For some reason, I never received the picture on my home e-mail. :?

Dave. I'm computer illiterate and can't find the Eamil address you'd like me to send my picture to. If you send me an Email brendancarmody2003@yahoo.com I'll respond with the picture

Back