today's progress

bobgoodman

this morning i got my landing gear sorted out to my satisfaction, at least until i get my new springs.

i spent the afternoon hoisting the motor and loosening the mount bolts enough to shift the motor forward an inch or so, and i was able to get the hydraulic pump off just fine. i took off the starter and moved the air/oil separator for the vacume pump out of the way and it was easy. i didn't even have to make a special wrench. i have a vacume pump wrench somewhere but while that would have made it even easier, i couldn't find it. the usual story.

so i plan to send it off to quality aircraft components for evaluation and rebuild. they said i should tell them what i want, and although they seem willing to just put a seal on it, i said i would like someone who knows these pumps to evaluate what should be done. i expect they will want to rebuild it or junk it. it feels ok to me and was pumping good pressure.

does anybody on this forum have experience with qaa? they seem knowledgable but who knows. it's probably leaving here on ups tomorrow morning, so if you have bad things to say about them, let me know asap. they want $600 to rebuild it. seems reasonable to me.

flew it some this morning before i took the pump off. let it cool before it started of course, it's about 100 here with 200% humidity. we had an inch and a quarter rain today.

this plane is just fun to fly. i'm still glad i got it even though i am spending money like water on it. lord knows what i'll have in it when i get to avionics and asdb.

but hey, you only live once and you can't take it with you.

bob

Which hydraulic pump do you have? It looks like the -2 has the same pump list on the TC as the -3. The Pesco 1P-677 will be a problem with QAA. The Pesco 1P-667 was originally a clockwise pump, but there was apparently a modification to make it a counter-clockwise pump to run on the back of the Continentals. QAA will not overhaul a 1P-677 to CCW operation. If you're really lucky, they'd probably notice this before they sent you a replacement pump that spins CW. Ask me how I know (sigh).

QAA was great about fixing the situation. By the time we realized what had happened, my Pesco had been red tagged and QAA obviously didn't have any Pesco 1P-667 CCW units. So I'm now running a Stratopump they overhauled, without problem. I've sent them other things for overhaul and they've been quick and done good work. If you have a Stratopump / New York Air Brake or an Eastern unit, I'd have no problem sending it to them.

I have the NY AirBrake Stratopower 67B025. I had QAA try to fix the old one but they offered an exchange so that is what I did. It has worked fine since 11/2003. Many many cycles hundreds of hours. QAA good company and stand behind their work. Lynn the crate

Back