Training on a 77 7GCBC

Cat-alac

I just recently finished my private licence and I am now officially a share owner of a 1350TT Citabria 150hp. Actually the plane has been in the family for 15 years I just finally got my licence at 42 years old. Anyway looking for any heads up on taking my tail wheel endorsement? I have 64 hours total and will require 3-10 hours dual as per the insurance company. I've flown in the rear several times but never in the front. I have read extensively about training on tail draggers; ground loop, staying active on the rudder, watching taxi crosswinds, and full stall landings, these seem to be some of the key points? I am a bit concerned about the max takeoff weight, I weigh 220, so I don't have much room for fuel with 2 people, time to diet I guess, lol. Thnx in advance.

Cat-alac,

I can't really speak for the GCBC. I currently fly a 77 Decathlon (150 HP, fixed pitch prop) which is similar, but different. On the subject of your TW endorsement, you'll probably get a wide variety of suggestions. For what it's worth, here are mine...

Before your first instructional flight, I'd get a copy of "The Compleat Taildragger" by Harvey Plourde. I found this book to be most helpful to me. If you read it once before your first lesson you'll find yourself more prepared than most. After your training begins, it becomes a good reference source. You can revisit the chapters of significance and it should support what your instructor is teaching. It's a great book and a great way to build your TW foundation.

Landings... Let's just cut to the chase. You have to be relatively comfortable landing in a crosswind. The utility of your airplane will be significantly reduced if you can't or don't want to land in a crosswind. You and your instructor, toward the end of your training, should find a field that presents a good crosswind and you should practice until you have a certain level of understanding and comfort. I've heard that some instructors will sign students off w/o much, if any crosswind experience. That's really a shame. Of course, your partner may be able to help you out, depending on his/her experience level.

Other than that, have fun. I really enjoy my Decathlon and the challenge it presents.

Here are a couple links to increase your useful load...

http://www.jennycraig.com/

http://www.weightwatchers.com/index.aspx

:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Jon

My 7

I have a 73 7GCBC and it is a pretty tame animal, compared to the J3 I received me initial tail wheel training in(Still only took 3.5 hours for indorsement). The biggest difference is most people do not learn proper rudder control, I know mine sucked until I started flying in the champs. Im 6,0 and about 240 pounds (trying to lose a few pounds)and have no probs, my plane is set up for off field flying and I can get airborne in 250-300 feet without much of a problem and land about the same. Just burn alot of gas until the plane feels like part of. Your private pilot license is a license to learn, and you will learn more about you and the plane every flight. Have fun and keep the rubberside down. Oh, one last thing, I would suggest you put 50 pounds in the back when soloing until you get use to the plane and the brakes(i still keep my survial geat back there.

Terry

Back