trim tab movement

Brendan Carmody

Just repaired the trim mechanism on my 14-13-3. I am surprised at the limited up/down arc the tab now goes through when I turn the trim crank in the cockpit from stop to stop (i.e. from full nose up to full nose down). I should have measured this before I took the mechanism apart, but I didn't! There's a lesson learned.

Anyway, can anyone advise me how big an arc the trim tab should describe when propertly adjusted? More simply, what is the difference in height -- measured in inches from the floor -- beween the trailing edge of the tab in the full nose up v. the full nose down position.

There is plenty more screw thread showing at both ends of the trim mechanism under the port side elevator, so it appears I should be able to get more up and down movement of the tab -- but movement stops when the pointer on the crank mechanism in the cockpit gets to either end of its range. Is there some kind of stop there? (hidden behind the headliner). Is there a stop in the tailcone visible/accessible through one of the inspection plates there?

Thanks, Larry. I'll measure mine tonight. I'm assuming the 22 degrees down refers to the downward movement of the trim tab itself, not to the effect that deflecting the trim tab down would produce (which would be nose up). Yes?
Brendan Carmody

It is tab movement.
Do you have the type certificate. If not, you can get it from http://www.airweb.faa.gov/TCDS. It is pretty handy when you have to deal with the feds all the time. You might also want to get the one for the engine and your prop.

Back