Up For Grabs...For a Lot of Dough

Jonathan Baron

Gentlemen:

As expected, the insurance company totaled my Cruisemaster. What I didn't expect was the absurdly high price they're asking for the salvage: $13,485.00. How they came up with that number is anyone's guess but it's simply too much money for me to buy and pay to have fixed properly. It's certainly repairable but any reputable estimate came out at over 30k, I've put three times that sum into it over the past eight years, no 14-19 I know of is worth anything close to 45k, and I no longer have the resources to meet its demands.

The only way for owning this to make sense is through sweat equity. That leaves me out but some of you out there may be able to acquire it for a lower bid and be capable of doing the work. It's a pretty airplane, the engine is not only fresh but runs wonderfully, and it's unusually fast for the type. I'll let you know where the sale will be posted. I'd hate for it to become another parts source in Al Pontius' salvage collection, I have nothing at all against Al, but I'd like for it to find an owner who'd return it to the air.

Were I not unemployed I might consider giving it another go. One thing I've learned, however, is that nobody has any business owning an aircraft of this sort unless it's been recently and thoroughly restored, or the owner is capable - either personally or financially - of doing so. It's difficult to consider a different cross country aircraft because they all have tricycle landing gear. Tail wheel aircraft simply have too many advantages over trikes to even consider one. Yes the -2s are newer, more practical, and they're great airplanes but they just don't do it for me.

I have become convinced, as strange and as "new age" as this sounds, that there exists among certain aviators a human/machine connection when flying that creates a separate, living entity in the air apart from their constituent components on the ground. Thus owning and flying certain aircraft works whereas piloting others is akin to organ rejection. There are spooky connections in this peculiar Bellanca DNA evidenced by the enormous number of Triple Tail pilots who either have owned or still own Luscombes for example. I don't fully understand it but it may be one of those things that surpasses understanding.

Cruisairs speak to me the same way. Were it not for the physical dimensions of the ones available during the year and a half I spent shopping for a Triple Tail I would have chosen a Cruisair. But that presents the same problem to someone like me for whom the act of turning a wrench should be a felony: ancient machine, orphan engine and, due to their unfairly low value, too, too few examples that would be viable.

I will still talk this over with Dan, Ozzie, Bob, and others. Perhaps I can get lucky with a far lower bid, find a way to get repairs started until someone with my peculiar array of skills can find employment again. It ain't over, but they are taking out the defibrillator paddles. Most likely my Triple Tail days are done. It was worth it though. Though the rest of the GA world may be ignorant of this fast, nothing flies like these rare and wonderful machines do. Nothing holds a course in turbulence as they do, nothing handles so well in so many ways and in so many conditions as they do. They ride upon a wing of singular magnificence, the product of a singular genius who created something pilots minted today will probably never have the opportunity to know they'd want if only they had the chance. I did and for that I have been privileged as all of you are or have been.

Jonathan

Sherman Oxford has a nice 14-19 for sale with a recently overhualed engine, I know it can be bought for less than thirty. Contact me and I will give you his number.....Greg 405-268-3925

Thanks Greg!

I'll bid on the salvage. The price is absurd as is, plus the airplane will be ready to move after the sale. Failing that I'll simply stick with my Luscombe unless or until my fortunes improve.

I hate to be so rational about all this. That's not my nature :)

Jonathan

JB, even if the insurance company gave you your plane back (FAT CHANCE) you more than likely cant restore it for what you could buy Shermans 14-19 for. I have seen photos of it and it looks good and is low time. Im sure that Greg could give it an honest prebuy inspection and Sherman is a real Gentleman to deal with._______Thats my 2 cents worth.-------Grant.

You guys working on commission? :lol: :lol:

I agree about not being able to get it fixed even if they threw in the airplane for nothing. It needs more than just fixing what ails it now. It needs to be gone through. For now I'm going to fly my Luscombe and keep looking for work. When the latter happens then I may take a look at Sherman's airplane.

Hey Greg - it looks like I may be ferrying a 172 from OK to VA for a buddy of mine in a couple of weeks. Perhaps this time I can stop by rather than just make a radio call as I pass overhead, eh? It's going to feel kind of weird flying a trike...haven't flown one in 12 years but at least I don't need any mods to fly Cessnas, though I had to prove that several times to the Feds. I imagine the oddest part will be wondering how the hell the tail got up so early in the takeoff roll.

You have to respect the 172 though. It saved General Aviation. We may think it's waaaay cool to land on desert sand, brown Texas turf, and little strips at god knows where in aircraft with wooden wings, three tails, and a wheel at the rear but we're an odd lot. Fewer than two tenths of one percent of Americans are aviators. Of those, perhaps ten percent have tailwheel endorsements. I don't know the fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the group that owns and flies taildraggers. Thus I don't know where GA would be without the 172. There are other trikes of course but you know what I'm getting at.

In this case my buddy got a great deal too...well...perhaps I'll reserve judgement on THAT until I get it to Virginia.

Jonathan

Make sure and stop in you can stay the night and visit, always glad do have a fellow Bellanca man to talk to. I am not sure where I was when you guys flew over that day. The identifier is PVJ and you can email to let me know when you are coming through, or just call......Greg

JB,

I'm heartbroken that you suffered the same plight as I have with your landing gear. I'm coming to the conclusion that the only way to go, for me, at least, in the future is experimental, so that I may make changes as I, not the FAA, sees fit, and so that I can adapt efficiently to changes in engine technology and fuel availability. I have loved my Cruisair, but now, like you, I can't afford to fix it and to continue to fly it, even though I have enough parts for nearly two spare birds.

Does anyone know of a museum which may be interested in my Cruisair? I'm trying to see how I can recoup as much from my investment as possible.

Best always,

Mike

Back