Useful load on Citabria

mtbowhunter

I have a 1976 7GCBC with a Lycoming 150 hp engine. Does anyone know of a modification that can be made to increase the gross weight without substantially increasing the empty weight of the plane. I would like to get more useful load out of the plane. I am in need of an engine overhaul and was wondering if there would be any beneficial increase in useful load accomplished by installing a new or remanufactured engine with more horsepower. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I am severley uneducated in these things.

Joe in MT.

*cough cough*

I know an $18000 mod that will get you 1800 lbs GW. :D

http://www.amerchampionaircraft.com/metal/wingmain.htm

Edit:
Robert, why do you have links turned off? :p
It's not - see corrected URL above - Regards, RS

Well that is simple math, just 120.00 per pound, if that includes shipping and installation.Of course that's not to bad it lines up with gas and diesel prices rather close.

Woodie
N29763
:D :D

You will get from 140 to 145 lbs of that 150 lbs increase.
The old and new frames weight about the same. Paint is the randomizing factor.

Had people say they gained 100 lbs of empty weight when they bolted them on. Truth is, they had that 100 lbs the whole time. For a while, we weighed them before and after just to prove it.

Jerry:

Thanks for the info. I will keep it in mind. The plane is slowly creeping toward a re-covering job and that sounds like the appropriate time if I decided to go with a change to the aluminum spars. A 100 lb or more increase in useful load would sure be nice. In regard to the paint, is there a specific type that should be avoided. Thanks again.

Joe in MT

I read this on another site. Does anyone know anything about this?

The 7GCBC Scout was marketed with a utility purpose in mind. It is essentially the same at a 7CGCB. The brochures showed it with a Sorenson sprayer and 8.50 tires and in restricted catagory the gross was up there in the #2000 area for Ag ops. The 8GCBC developed in 1974 took over the concept and the Citabria Scout version was dropped.

The restricted category was for spray operations only.
Just like the 8GCBC restricted category is 2600...you cannot use it for normal operations.

and yes,
7KCAB fathered the 8KCAB
7GCBC fathered the 8GCBC

I think you can have a significant effect on useful load by choosing the fabric and coating for the recover carefully.

Polyfiber is apparently the lightest system, Ceconite would be a little heavier and cotton is heaviest of all. wwww.polyfiber.com gives an example using a Cub. Original Cubs had 75 lbs of cotton and dope. Ceconite and dope on a Cub they estimate at 50 to 60 lbs. Polyfiber at 40-45 lbs. Since you'll be recovering anyway choosing the lightest fabric will either gain you a few pounds in useful load or at least insure you don't increase your empty weight from where it is now ( if you already have polyfiber for example). Does that help?

The FAA within the past few months granted ACA an increase in max gross to 1950lbs from 1800lbs on the High Country Explorer, ACA's 180-HP 7GCBC. I was very surprised that ACA didn't make a bigger deal about it in the aviation press as it now easly allows for departures with two adults and full fuel.

You might wanty to contact Jerry at the factory and find out if this also applies to your 150-HP 7GCBC.

Jim Robins
7GCBC - N87VF

It doesn't :p

Its not a big deal press-wise because it only affects the 20 or so High Country's for retrofit.
Its more for future sales incentives.

Jerry-

Is there any chance the Ultimate Adventure will get a similar gross weight increase, understand a tire size change may be required.

Tom-

I know an $18000 mod that will get you 1800 lbs GW. :D http://www.amerchampionaircraft.com/metal/wingmain.htm[/quote said:
The page mentions a gross weight increase for "some models" but doesn't say which ones. Do you know if a 7ECA would be eligible for the gross weight increase?

Likely the Ultimate will not be getting the increase. Or, at least, no plans at this time.

The 7ECA moves from 1650 to 1750 with the wing retrofit
Same goes for the 7GCAA and 7KCAB

Only the 7GCBC get the 1800.

Back