Useful Load

rgarrett

I'd like to buy an older 150 hp Citabria. So far I'm finding most of them with useful loads of under 500 lbs. I want to be able to fly with my brother and we weigh 440. Is it undrealistic to think I can find an older airplane with a useful load of at least 525 or so lbs?

Thanks for your help!

My ECA (115 horse) has a current useful load of 585... (less engine weight, more useful load). Flip side is, it won't climb like a 150, and is a few mph slower in cruise. I think as a general rule, a 115 will have more useful load than a 150.

Jim

Yes, fuel has to be part of the useful load! I would like to be able to have a useful load of 440 plus 15 or 20 gallons of fuel. That would but it up around 540 useful. Just not sure how realistic that is in a 150 hp Citabria. I live in Arizona so would like 150 hp for the "high and hot" days!

Ok thanks.

One gallon of gasoline weighs about 6.1 lbs IIRC, so I guess twenty gal's uses about 120lbs of the useful load. Got it. :D

Not sure I understood that comment...fuel is by definition a component of useful load, cause it's sure not empty weight. Mine allows for 585 pounds of fuel, people, and 'other stuff' to get to max gross weight. More people, less fuel, vice versa. Did I miss something?

Jim

Back