Vent tube leak

mtbowhunter

I have a '76 7GCBC. When I am taxiing with full tanks on a windy day and the wings are rocking the vent tube on the left tank has always leaked a little fuel. The leaking would only last for a few minutes. However, lately I've noticed that everytime I am moving with a full tank, it leaks, and leaks for a longer period of time. Today it was leaking in flight for about the first 1/2 hour of the flight. The vent tube does not leak when the plane is sitting still. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Joe.

Your fuel vent leaking is probably due to fuel expansion in your tanks as the fuel warms up it expands. If you fuel from underground tanks the fuel will be cool and as it warms up in your tanks in the warm air it expands and leaks out your vent.

Zubot:

Thanks for the advice. However, I use autogas that I put in the plane from 5 gal. cans, so I don't think that's what causing it. I started putting a 1/2 gal less in the left tank and that seems to have cured the problem. Thanks again.

Joe.

First: Don't overfill the left tank. If you do, you can count on some fuel dribbling out the vent. Tell the line guys (or yourself) to allow at least a 2" gap from the top when topping off.

Second: Go buy 5' of clear flex tube at Home Depot (about $2) and make a habit of pushing the plastic tube onto the vent tube when the plane is put away after topping. Just let it hang down, and you won't be pestered with blue stains from the dripping fuel as it expands.

Jim Robins
N87VF

Back