Vertical Stab Yaw Adjustment?

Rodney

My 14-19 requires a little right rudder to maintain coordinated flight while stable in cruise. It is not gross or anything, but noticeable. I realize that I could shim a flap or something like that, but that course merely relieves control pressure by shoving a different surface into the air and doesn't really fix the problem. I was wondering; can the tension wires on the vert stab be tightened/loosened such that it corrects for yaw? Any other suggestions?

There should be an adjustment on the rudder pedal cables. Mine is located on the copilots right foot firewall side. Pg 25 of the -2 Flightbook. This adjustment is also mentioned in 14-19 owners handbook section 2. The adjustment is on the Firewall quite easy to do. Lynn N9818B the crate :idea:

A brief bit of mechanical detail here might help explain the process.

On the Cruisemasters, the rudder cables are directly attached from the bellhorn on the rudder assembly to the rear side of the rudder pedal mechanism. The left and right rudder pedal mechanisms each also have a spring that connects to the front side of the pedal mechanism and these springs pull the pedals forward toward the firewall.

These springs, by the way, provide the only tension on the rudder cables.

In level flight with feet off of the rudder, both springs should pull equally hard on the left and right cables and this will keep the rudder centered.

It turns out that the connection for the left rudder pedal spring is fixed. On my 'Master, there is a steel loop welded to the steel tubing structure immediately aft of the firewall. The left side spring attaches to that fixed steel loop to pull forward on the left pedal. There is no adjustment on the left side.

The right side, however, has a loop that is welded to a screw mechanism that runs through the firewall with a nut on the front side of the firewall. The nut can be turned to pull the screw farther out past the firewall to increase the tension on the right rudder pedal, which causes the plane to pull more to the right (with feet off the pedals.)

Conversely, turning the nut to reduce the amount of screw that protrudes forward past the firewall will decrease the spring tension and cause the plane to pull more toward the left (with feet off the pedals.)

Adjusting the spring tension will be a trial and error thing - keep track of the adjustments and monitor how much difference you find in flight after each adjustment, then tweak it some more if needed.

Dave

Thanks! Very helpful info. When I can get out to the field and work on this I'll let you know how it goes.

I haven't been able to investigate the rudder adjustment yet--bad weather, work, trips, and dealing with other unexpected's. I intend on catching my maintenance and tinkering this weekend for sure.

I have a little left roll as well, any adjustments for that one?

Is there any purpose to tweaking the wire cables on the vert stab, or just leave them be as support?

Rod, the wires are for support. The tail should be 90 degrees and equal stress on all wires. This is not a trim adjustment. Most roll issues come from the ailerons rigging and like the Cherokee series can be tweeked with the flap. Don't jump into this too quick try one thing at a time start with the rudder like the AlabamaFlyBoy noted in detail. Then if that works your done, if not lets try something else that is simple to do. You don't want to be changing to many things at once. Lynn the recovering crate N9818B :shock:

I finally got to look at the rudder pedals and did not see any springs or an adjustment screw through the firewall. Nothing obvious anyhow on the surface. I'm now going to go back and pull the floorboard. Since asking about this I've had a few other more important little 'issues' to deal with in the form of failing battery, intercomm, and now for some reason my attitude gyro decided to freeze up. On the gyro note, it worked perfectly up to now. I checked all the lines and venturi and they are fine. I rapped on the case behind the panel a little bit, (generally the first repair technique of a male, bang on it..), and went flying and it did wake up but now it is inverted and wobbling lightly. I'm guessing that maybe it needs to be caged after being frozen, if so, how is that accomplished with no visible means to do so? Send it in? Does it sound as if it may have just failed?

I'm discovering in this new adventure of plane ownership that it is alway something, isn't it....?

Speaking of my flight yesterday, it was the first day of sunshine and warm weather in over two weeks, so definitely an afternoon flight was in order. I live in Del Rio, TX which is a border town west of San Antonio and thus has a large customs/border patrol/homeland security presence. Well, I took off, stayed at about 500ft, and flew over my house to wave at my wife like I always do. I live rurally in a sparsely populated area 4 miles from the field. I then toured around the countryside a litte, from about 500ft to 1500ft, flew down the Rio Grande (on our side), then did a couple of landings and taxied over to the fuel pump. The sort of flying that saturdays in the country are made for, and that I do just about everytime I go up for a quick jaunt. I was intercepted by agents speeding across the ramp questioning my validity. One was a pilot who apoligized numerous times, shaking his head and stating that he knew I was just out sightseeing but his superiors ordered my investigation. Apparently, they were watching me on radar out in California and speaking with the office here and with agents dispatched to a field behind my house in three vehicles. They couldn't read my tail number with binos and that raised more concern. I had to chuckle, as did the other pilot, as I am a guy who is based at the field, flies often, uses the radio, and was purchasing fuel with a credit card when approached. I do understand their concerns and responsibility, but c'mon. I didn't apologize, had no reason to, just smiled and told them I guess they were going to stay real busy with me out here...lol Rather impressive, or concerning, how deep 'big brother' is watching....

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN! I'm spending as much on fuel Kerosene and Gasoline as it is going to cost for the recovering. Welcome to the corrupt state of Pennsylvania, Ed Rendell HMFWIC. Lynn the crate :evil:

Back