Video system

mrich

Wondering if anyone has any experience installing a video system in a Super Decathlon. Looking for a reasonable compromise of cost/quality for personal flight recordings. Portable DVR, camcorder, bullet camera, mounting options???
Anys suggestions/advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know if the following will help you, but here goes: I have a small Sony HD camcorder. With a bongi cord, I strapped it into the V-shaped "cross-beam" of my 7GCBC. I pointed the camera at the distal end of the engine compartment door. This allowed for very little video distortion by the propellar and gave decent forward view. It seems the further out the prop you record, the worse the distorting wave action so the video becomes almost useless.
The above worked okay. I was able to get decent recordings of spins, take off's and landings.
I next bought a "Pod," which is really very similar to a small sandbag. It has a camera mounting screw and can be placed flat on my dash. I have not had time to use it, but I intend to place it on the dash pointing to the side thus avoiding any prop distortion. You can google "Pod" and it will bring you to the website which offers a variety of pods for different cameras. I'm hopeful the Pod will do the trick, but that remains to be seen.
Good luck,

I ended up purchasing a bullet camera and a portable DVR. I expect it to arrive next week and weather permitting obtain some sample video. I have a couple different mounting sites to try. I'll post again when I have some experience with the set-up. Thanks for your thoughts Jeff.

Back