Viking wings on 260

stinson6

Hi folks, should have the 260 finished some time early Fall. I can't wait... Kind of thinking ahead here but the previous owner was telling me about a 260 that had Viking wings. He liked the the idea of extra fuel. Anyone here have that mod? Sounds intriguing.

You can put Viking tanks in the 260 wings. Webbers has done it, and I think others have. I have a set of the Aux wing tanks from a Viking. They are plumbed separatly from the mains, but on the later Vikings they plumbed them so that you had one large supply per wing. 17 gallons extra per side. Grant.

I may be wrong, but I believe most of the gross weight increase in the Viking has to do with the gas filled landing gear. I have heard (and again I may be wrong) that you can get a gross weight increase on an early Viking by installing the later gear legs. Maybe that would work with the 260, since there is not a lot of difference between the 260, and the early Viking, other than FWF. It might be worth a call to the factory to see if it has been done before. Just an idea. Grant.

Might give them a call for this. The previous owner made it sound very doable since the 260 and Viking are on the same type certificate? I'm new to Bellanca ownership so if anyone has some insight into this I'm all ears. Like I said, just kind of thinking ahead. I'm not a "part this thing out" person when the wings are no longer serviceable. I got this 260 and plan on keeping it fly able for a long time. Thanks for the input.

Keep it hangered, and it will out last you and the grandkids. Leave it outside and it will not last too long. Great Plane. Grant.

I believe that there's a 260 owner already talking to the factory about the gross weight increase. I'd be interested in it, obviously, as not leaving the aux tank empty when there's people in the back seat would be awesome.

Several years ago I saw a set of the high gross upper gear legs at Faith Aviation Salvage in Sacramento Calif. They might still be there. I dont know if you need different lowers for the higher gross. The only reason I thought they were the higher gross legs, is because they had schrader valves (I think that is the correct term) on the upper legs. It will be interesting to see if the factory can get a weight increase. Grant.

Back