Voltage Reg problems????

Doug Snead

How can you test the VR?

Are there any common electrical problems/parts that usually need replaced/rebuilt every X years?

My battery got hot and smelled rank after my flight today. A few people I've talked to think it is probably the VR.

Best place to buy one? Or is this something that can be rebuilt?

Thoughts?

Thank you,
Doug

Hi Doug yes most electrical appliances will need to be replaced / OH over time, is this a generator Voltage regulator or an Alternator, if you have a generator and the old mechanical VR I'd go with a Zeftronic's solid state generator controller they are excellent reduces radio noise to just about O and the voltage is steady as a rock. Voltage regulators are available from Aircraft Spruce for one place. Here's a link:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/el/voltagecontrols_regulator.html

Mnflyer,
Thanks for the reply. I will try one. Controllers commonly complain about my radio static.

Are there any other reasons for poor radio quality?

Thanks again,
Doug

Hi Doug, Are there any other reasons for poor radio quality? yes there can be a number of things, magnetos, "P" leads, the ignition harness its self, radio installation. One easy way to tell if itsw the charging system is to turn off the generator / alternator an see if the static lessens. Good luck with the new control system I know I'm very happy with my installation, the Zeftronics regulator makes a generator preform about like an alternator the only difference is the gen still will not charge at idle the R's must be about 1600 to have it come online (this depends on how the generator was set up at build/OH).

Back