Voltage regulator

Dover

Any body know about changing out the voltage regulator to a solid state? Got a source for the old style or solid state?

Also does anyone have a source or idea about the fuel sending unit? Couldnt see any part numbers.

Thanks
Ben

Benny boy, any automotive voltage regulator will work fine. All you need is to match the amp rating of the generator with the regulator. 35 amp generator takes a 35 amp regulator. Simple stuff. I have had real good luck with Westach products in regards to senders. I changed the crates senders to Westach years ago and they have served me well. Lynn the crate N9818B 8)

Sometimes newer technology isn't better. Was wondering if anyone has had any experiences/observations as to the difference with the old relay generator regulators and the new solid state in the Cruisemaster.

Not yet up to changing the fuel gauge and all the associated wiring just yet. Would like to stay very close to original.

Thanks

I don't know which aircraft you are asking about but my Cruisair has the usual Stewart Warner gauges and senders as seen in many aircraft from the 1940's. You can get the senders and gauges from NAPA but I had a problem getting the NAPA senders to work on one side because of the way the mounting screws are. There needed to be a good deal of modificaton to the arm. Aircraft Spruce has a universal sender that is adjustable and has the same sender unit on it that SW uses.

Kevin

Back to the voltage regulator; I recently replaced the 50-year-old regulator on my Cruisemaster.
Fortunately I have an auto electronics guy that I can work with. First rule being we don’t ever discuss aircraft. I took him the old regulator; he went to the computer and spent a half hour trying to reference/cross reference. This is where most parts persons would have stopped.
My guy said he had one more option went in the back came out with a very old very worn reference BOOK. With a little searching he came up with my early Olds. regulator. He even had one in stock. :shock: I have the numbers if any one needs them.

Now all I need is an early Olds. As we all know I can’t put this un PMA’ed part on my aircraft :?:
Guess what I need is Northerns engineering data---which I suspect was the parts man walking into the local auto parts store and asking for a case of the
cheapest 12-volt regulator they had in stock. :twisted:

Bear with me guys; I just went thorough a three-day storm here in SD and have a 15 ft. drift between civilization and me. So out of boredom I will relate another one of my BS stories. Back in the “good old days” when FAA inspectors were still inspector before the plane police days. I had a Cherokee 140 with a bad alternator. I had a electronics guy back then that had been a military aviation mechanic. (Can't do better than that) Took it in to him for a rebuild. After a though inspection he said it was DOA. BUT, he had a exact replacement on the shelf. Being I had to worry about my licenses, back then, I argued that it couldn’t be. “THIS IS AN AIRCRAFT ALTERNATOR” :!: :!: We took them apart laid them out on the bench, the only difference being the four bolts running through the case had drilled heads for safety wire. I don’t know where that 140 is today but I bet that Chrysler alternator is still cranking out the volts.

Engineering Data my A--. :evil: :evil:

I agree with 'frozen in SD." Almost all of this stuff is automotive based. I don't know if Northern or CMC was involved with picking the regulator for the O-470. Non of the old 'stuff' was stamped or marked "FAA/PMA." If the original regulator cover has some special markings, I'd put it on the new unit. Beware! Some of the items you buy in the auto parts store were assembled in some third world country by labor three days out of the rain forest. Trash right out of the box. Buy NOS USA made parts. Many of the non-chain stores that have been around for a couple generations can help. These folks will have all the listings for the electrical components for Aircooled Motors [Franklin] in that well worn reference manual. Dan

Well I broke down and installed a Zeftronics GCU. I have a 337 field approval if anyone wants a copy. Got tired of adjusting the voltage so that it would stay in range.

Tailwinds,
Ben

Back