Voltage Regulators

crumast

Has anyone installed a Zeftronics regulator into their 14-19()? I was wondering about paperwork with the Feds. Zeftronics offers a direct FAA-PMA replacement for my Delco reg. which is listed in the cross reference in their ad. It seems like the replacement would be transparent to the system. A no-brainer. But the sales rep said it would need a one-time field approval. Ugh! Tom Robinson

Hi Tom, the Zeftronics regulator is highly regarded and you can find numerous reviews and technical comments on our forum, and on many other aviation forums. Zeftronics has also been a generous supporter of the Bellanca annual convention. Now back to your question… prudently the Zeftronics company cannot advise anything but a field approval for liability reasons. However this should not be difficult since there are other existing installations. I’m sure many have been installed with no paper trail at all. I hate to sound like a broken record, but our resident guru Mr. Lynn the Crate has posted previously about installing the Zeftronics unit in his -2. Lynn has the knowledge and experience here that I would take to the bank. This was discussed in a 2015 post that you were also participating in. I will offer one important note of caution based on my research on this subject: there are certain failure modes with an electronic regulator that can cause a runaway voltage condition. Make sure the VR is securely grounded. There is also an ongoing debate as to whether there should be an alternator field switch in addition to the master switch. A runaway alternator can potentially precipitate a very dangerous in-flight emergency. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Thanks for the info. Actually, my 14-19 still has the original generator setup.
I wish I could install a lightweight alternator on the O-435.
My IA felt it shouldn't require a 337 for the new v/r, as it's a FAA-PMA replacement for my electro-mech v/r. The new G1250N for my old Delco-Remy 1118384. Hope he's right. Tom Robinson

I'd be interested in getting a copy of your paperwork. If I send you my email, could you send it to me as an attachment? Tom Robinson

Sure send me your address and I will mail you a copy. My e-mail: lford1011@zoominternet.net. Lynn

Back