Wax for a Citabria?

FLYINGV

Is it OK to wax fabric? Specifically, the original fabric on a 1973 Citabria. What kind of wax works best on fabric? Can I use a common car wax? My plane is red with white stripes. Do I need to try and wax the colors separately to keep them from bleeding across? I'm curious to hear what other owners are doing to keep their fabric looking good.

Thanks for the comments.

Brian

FYI-

Your aircraft was covered with Randolph dope, the only wax Randolph recommended was Carnuba, do not use anything with silicon, or the modern waxes which are frequently petro based.

Tom-

I used Rejex just before my annual last spring. Nice and shiny! Bugs just bounced off, it cruised 10 mph faster, and all that myth. Rejex went on pretty easily and it rubbed off much easier than a lot of waxes I've used on cars. This seems an important consideration on fabric.

The downside: To complete the annual, I had to rebuild my wings. The aileron fabric is pretty new, so I didn't do them. I should have. It took me hours and stacks of rags and quarts of Poly Fiber paint cleaning solvent to get enough of the Rejex off so I could repaint the ailerons. Many thanks to my friend Ed who figured out why my paint beaded up and ran off, and who helped me clean the invisible scourge from my fabric.

I had been planning on doing some minor fabric repairs and paint touch-up on the fuselage next spring. Now I may just leave it until recover time.

I will think long and hard before deciding to wax my new wings.

Alex-

I use Rejex on my 2001 ACA Polyurethane covering system, knowing full well it will make repairs much more difficult, unwaxed polyurethane is VERY difficult to repair so this is just another issue to be concerned with.

Randolph dope and Stitts/Polyfiber are quite easy to repair so anything synthetic or containing silicon is a NO-NO, as you discovered.

A wax containing Carnuba is easy to remove when repairs are required and is recommended for all surfaces.

Ask anyone in the body shop, paint shop, business about silicon waxes and painting.

Tom-

Thanks, Tom. Yup, I shoulda known better. Carnuba it shall be. If/when I do need to remove it for repairs, what takes it off? -Alex

Alex-

Interesting question, one I've never had to think about because, in my experience, the prep sanding, and a thinner wipe, always resulted a a surface ready for doping, or painting. With silicon it seems like nothing lifts the silicon.

Tom-

A good carnuba wax that I have found is MOTHERS CALIFORNIA GOLD. It goes on easier than any I have found, lasts a long time and best of all, You can get it at WM for about $5.00.

Easy on, works and cheap.

Ron86654 :D

Don't some of the carnuba waxes also contain silicone gloss enhancers? If so, it would seem you would have to be careful about it being pure wax.

Michael

To remove waxes and grease, go to the automotive paint shop and buy a gallon of wax and grease remover. It works great and won't melt dope finishes. Use it to clean old dope before waxing to reduce color run.

Incidently, I power buff/wax fabric using a mikita 2 speed buffer. Not powerful enough to cause damage, and light enough that you don't have to be an Arnold Schwartzenegger to use. I use a lambs wool pad and 3m buffing/cutting compound.

Back