Wheel shims for 1973 Decathlon

kpin

I have removed, painted, and replaced the gear legs on my 1973 decathlon. It is now time to check camber and toe in / out. The factory will sell 1 deg. shims for both toe in and camber. I am told they will allow 3 shims on either side for camber and I have no number for toe in. I have the service manual which explains the procedure. The procedure is understood and no problem. Nowhere is there information to help decide the number of degrees a wheel is off. I am capable of measureing appropriate distances to trig. the approximate dimensions, buying the shims my calculations describe, installing and then retesting. Has anyone a different method or solution? Also, has anyone shims they would like to sell?

Thanks for any information,

Ken

I am now told that a 1 degree shim results in a .250 inch movement. Is this sounding correct?

Ken

Just replaced my gear on my 7gcbc with scout gear, and all I can say is good luck. Luckily a guy down the otherside of the airport had one spacer that worked for me, in combo with the ones I already had. First I tried to use grease plates and did not work to good, you have to roll it about 20 feet to get it to settle correctly. Even though it looked ok at first, it made landings really really scary. Got it dailed in and close to perfect now. I think univair has them from quarter, half and one degree, but if you check around i bet someone can custom make them locally. I think one degree will be alot more that .25 of an inch.

Terry

Back