wheel turning in flight

guzziduck

What prevents the wheels from being spun by the slipstream while flying? My left tire shows extra wear and the scuff guard on the rear spar shows rub marks. Thanks, Richard

On my 14-19-2 the gear lever pops to neutral when the gear is fully retracted. That means it's pressed into the gear well to the point hydraulic pressure builds to pop the gear lever to neutral. This pressure should keep the tire from rotating. My gear shows rub marks on the rear skid plate as well. I assume this is because the tire is still rotating when the gear hits the rear skid plate. I would assume if you're getting different wear on tires it could be caused by bushing wear. With the plane on jacks check for free play on the nut crackers (sissors)in the gear. Excessive free play on either gear could cause wear on either tire. If you have excessive free play gear bushings for the nut crackers should be available from the factory. The bushings may have to be drilled to size. Let us know what you find. Good luck. Glenn.

Thanks Glen, there is plenty of play in the gear linkage and that is what I attributed the wear to, but the rub marks are sufficient on the left side scuff guard that I believe the wheel is turning in flight. Will get it up on jacks and swing gear when the tires are replaced. Richard

Rich - another item to check when the plane is on jacks is the lenth of the strut compressor cables. I don't have a spec but too short of a cable could be a culprit.

Dicky Boy, Glenn hit it. Get the thing on jacks,wheels retracted. They should not turn in the wells (tire against the scuff plate), and there should be no movement of the strut. I think your cable needs attention. Jacking and testing will get to the culprit. Lynn the crate :lol:

So the pressure of the strut spring pushing the tire against the spar scuff plate is what stops the wheel, not pressure from the retract mechanism forcing the tire into the top of the wheel well? Richard

Both items prevent the tire from turning when retracted. Every Bellanca I've done retraction tests on, show a 'press fit' into the wheel well. There are explanations for the added wear on one side. Dan

....not to mention wear on the scuff plate and the inside top plywood in the wing if the wheel is not completely stopped after takeoff and before retraction. :wink:

Glenn, you were right. Jacked the plane today and sure enough the left wheel was barely touching the scuff plate. New tires, packed bearings, and properly adjusted cables, the nut cracker bushings and strut seals will get attention at annual. The good news is that the struts seem to not be worn much, about .001 differece top to bottom. Thanks for the advice guys. Richard

Back