whelen wingtip strobes

crumast

I was wondering if anyone has a "one-time" field approval for the installation of Whelen A650 wingtip strobes on a 14-19. The Whelen Co. has an STC for the 14-19-3a, but mine is of 1950 vintage. My IA is sweating this because there doesn't seem to be any "approved data". He believes the local FSDO will throw our 337 back in our faces. Any leads are appreciated.

Before you go and try to install wing tip strobes, check to see if you can use the existing shielded wire. If not you have a big problem as Bellanca failed to allow any way to replace this junk. You will find that the existing wire is stapled and routed in such a way that it is dame near impossible to replace and reroute. I run into this with my wing tip lights on a 1958 Cruisemaster. You will be swearing in no time flat. As for the 337 Field approval is no big thing if it is STC for a similar model like the 3-A etc. I have used Cessna 180's against this Bellanca as firwall forward it is very similar. So check that wire before you jump into this. I replaced a wire to a fuel sender and 12 inches cost me 6 hrs! LYNN N9818B :evil:

I know the frustration of routing wires in that wing. My bird is all in pieces, so it was a little easier. All the wiring, power supply, and switch is installed. The hard part may be the paperwork. As similar as a 1419-3A may be to my 1419 in construction, it won't be close enough to make certain FAA types happy. They want that "approved data." Thanks!

for wingtip strobes. My wiring is fine, but I'm considering running new and simply leaving the old in place.
A neat solution for running new wire? Simply install it in a chunk of lightweight PVC tubing and then run the PVC through the wing. Instant duct! Second method: run the PVC, tack the end down on the wire and slide the PVC back out of the wing. This was suggested by a good friend of mine. I'm uncleas as to how he wanted to secure the wire once it was in place.

Back