where's my data plate?

jeffw

I own a 1946 Cruisair 14-13-2 N86728, purcahsed in 1991, still flying.
It was a complete rebuild/restoration project in the mid 70's.
I cannot find the data plate.
I have been told about a few different places to look for it but no-joy. Give me some more hints on where to find the data plate.

N427 was on the door below the window, N86802 was on the kick panel,serial 1074 was in the baggage compartment.

Thanks for the possible locations.
Now I'm thinking that when the plane was restored in the '70's it may be in one of the suggested locations but covered up.
Still looking.

I found the parts plane under the vinyl on the door, I had to feel for it and found the rivet heads first.

I've looked under and felt across vinyl coverings and all of and more places suggested, no joy so far.

What if I can't find it? Can a data plate be made for the plane? If so, how do I get that done?

I've owned and flown the plane for 29 years and never gave it a thought until recently.

This might be a question better answered by Dan or Lynn, but I will give it a shot…

If you want to replace a missing aircraft ID plate legally on a certificated aircraft you will need to get the FAA involved. This situation is specifically discussed in FAA Order 8130.2J, section 23-5. Here is the language:

23-5. Replacement ID Plates.
a. When a replacement ID plate is required, the owner or the owner’s authorized representative will contact their local FAA office. The FAA determines whether the request is valid and provides a letter to the applicant with the FAA’s finding. If the FAA finds that the request is valid, the applicant includes the FAA letter with their request for the replacement ID plate from the appropriate manufacturer.
b. Upon notification by the applicant, which must include the FAA’s letter, the product manufacturer may then issue the replacement ID plate.
c. The old ID plate, when available, must be voluntarily surrendered by the owner with a written statement to the FAA office that authorized the replacement. The FAA office must make a copy of the plate and then either physically destroy it or, if requested by the manufacturer, return it to the manufacturer via certified mail. The FAA office must then send a letter to AFS-750 stating that the surrendered plate has been destroyed. AFS-750 will include the letter in the permanent aircraft records file.

I doubt very much that Alexandria Aircraft will want to get involved with this since they do not own the type certificate for the Cruisair. Therefore as part of your petition to the FAA you might receive their permission to have a new plate fabricated on your own. This would be easy as you could buy a blank plate from Aircraft Spruce ( https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acid.php ) and simply take it to a trophy shop for engraving.

Keep looking.....
BTW....Don't engrave info on a data tag. Get it stamped, per original. If the FAA gets involved, they'll be suspicious of a "homebrew job."
Been there, done that. I think I've seen blank 14-13 tags in the past. Look on al the usual sites. I think I have a used tag that the info could possibly be scrubbed and restamped.
Dan

Thanks Dan,

I found one on Ebay described as >>
LINK>
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bellanca-Aircraft-Corp-Data-Plate-Acid-Etched-Stainless-Steel-Exact-Replica/174437312031?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Dan - can I get a good photo from you of a filled out Cruisair data plate as a bit of a guide for having it stamped correctly?

I know when the air worthy was missing for my aircraft had to get FAA involved and I never ever want to do that again, the boys in Cleveland was a real pain in my A--. Since no one owns the certifications of the 14-13 series you can no longer get an original one to have it stamped from FAA, that is what happened with me, then they finally excepted the one on the plane that had been restamped?? one month of bullshit of it setting out in the weather since they would not let me fly it out till I had the airworthy.

Realized that right after ordering it.

Now I have another collectable.

UPDATE > I was able to cancel the order from the Ebay seller.

Jeff,
If I can find that spare plate, I'll send it to you. But first find that trophy shop or jewelry store that can do that for you. They must first delete the existing stamping and restamp your info...see if they can do that. I think the font is 3/32."

Jeff,
Another thought....I think "Air Corps Aviation" in MN. bought all Noel Allard's data plate inventory. They may have the new 14-13 data plate, ready to stamp. Let me know.
Dan

Dan,

I got hold of Air Corps - "Nick", Max not there anymore. Nick was helpful and will look to see if they have a BL-02 plate.

He said that I will have to get the FAA FSDO here to approve and authorize them to replicate a data plate for me per AD 45-D2 -UGH!

Nick said it should not be a problem for the FAA to do that but it may take a while because of their work schedule right now.

I'll wait and see if he can find a New Castle DE 14-13 plate and take it from there.

I know an old timey-jewelry store in town that can do that kind of embossing stuff.

If they can't find and sell you a BL-02 plate let me know. Check your "old time" store to see if they can stamp. Maybe they can clean up a previously stamped plate for restamping......

Dan,

I heard back from Nic at Air Corps - he does not have a New Castle DE, 14-13 data plate and can only provide a custom made plate, and he needs the approval from the FAA to make it.

I checked with the jeweler and they said that they have a variety of stamp sizes eg. 1/16, 3/32, 1/8 etc and can make an old plate look like new.

If you have a good candidate plate that youo think will wok send it on and tell me what I owe you and you mailing address.

my address is > 20 Debonair Way, SImpsonville, SC 29681

Jeff,
I'm sure I have a used original plate that can be cleaned up and restamped.
I'll look for it and send to you..no charge.
Dan

Back