While Mooney and Columbia Fight Over Which is Fastest

Jonathan Baron

60 years ago, today:

http://www.edwards.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123071181

Now what did I do with those Peten wheel pants?

Jonathan

Good idea.

The Peten wheel pants should boost you from about Mach 0.200 all the way up to about Mach 0.205.

For real speed, I'll bet ff you tied a couple of JATO units to the Bellanca, you probably could get pretty close to Mach 1. After all, that is essentially the same propulsion system that Chuck used back 60 years ago.

(Of course, that speed would likely only be obtained during the vertical descent portion of the flight after the wings have departed the aircraft. :))

Disclaimers: Don't try this at home. Perform only over closed course using professional idiot pilots. Your results may vary.

Dave York

(Yes, I have lived in Redneck country way too long)

Dang...I knew I shouldn't have tossed those JATOs when I moved to Charlottesville. Then again I might have had to take seriously silly marketing non-issues such as the refresh rate on aviation GPS units :)

And the Moolaumbia pilots don't need to worry either....lets see...is it 230 kts or 235.

Hell, most ads are lies, conceal your surprise. Yeager did something authentic, but the public was not told until much later :twisted:

Jonathan

Did you know that if Yeager had not done it on that day, Bob Hoover might have been the pilot flying the X-1 when it went past Mach 1.

Apparently, they alternated flights in the beast.

In fact, Yeager had cracked his ribs in a horse accident and shouldn't have been flying that day. He didn't let anyone know about the accident. If he had, Bob would probably have been flying that day instead.

As is was, Bob was flying chase plane behind Yeager that day.

Not to take away anything from either of them - I highly admire the accomplishments of both men.

I do miss seeing Bob flying that Shrike Commander doing aerobatics with both engines feathered. Also his P-51 routines. An amazing pilot.

Back