Windshield

kgassert

Hello,

On my 14-13 the fabric is glued around the sides and top of the windshield. Some of this is coming loose. Is it correct that it is just glued down onto the Plexiglas or should there also be some kind of trim piece on it?

Thanks,
Kevin

There are no trim pieces. Use a toothpick to pick up a small droplet of whatever glue was used on your airplane, work the glue under the loose area and use another toothpick to hold down the offending area until set. Don't use your finger, as you risk fingerprints on the windshield. Dan

OK, then, use a small stir stick and push down with a clean stick. After it sets up for a while, get your monocoat iron and carefully press down all the formerly loose areas. Dan

Kevin, if Dan's trick don't work. Pull the tape and retape it . I know it is more work and requires fabric build up. It would be a permanent fix. Just a caution , the windshield and the enviroment has to be warm, this is not a cold weather repair. Lynn the crate :D

I got it re-glued and then cut some of white vinyl trim material 2" wide and put it over the fabric and windshield. The type of vinyl used for trim and N numbers. It stuck on really well and looks good and will keep the wind from trying to get under the fabric and lift it.

Kevin

It seems like every new topic raises a question in my mind for my project. I'm using Poly Fiber so do I use Poly Tack for gluing the fabric to the windshield? :?:
Gary

Gary, Poly Tak will work. Be very careful to not get any where you don't want it. This is why I use toothpicks to get small amounts into small areas. Dan

Guys,
While on this topic, my Cruisair has a very thick windshield. I believe from a Cruismaster .187" verses .125" for the correct windshield, I think this was done to reduce noise? If this is the case it didn't work!! I need to order a new one what should I order?

regards
Bernie

Dan,
Oops, too late my Cruisair is in a million pieces!!! I am in the middle of a major rebuild. My Cruisair's windshield was fitted over the top of the fabric and sat proud on the top of the fuse screwed into the timber frame, it looked very unfinished but did not leak. The windshield is ready for a change just wondering should I go for the thicker one or stick with the original ? I would love some photos of what it suppose to look like.
regards
Bernie

Bernie,
I have my old windshield as well as a new one sitting in one of my garages. I'll show them to you next month. I didn't buy the new one because it came with the plane. Someone had started to restore it and then stopped.
Gary

Bernie, The windshield should fair in smoothly around all edges. If you get a new stock Cruisair windshield, make sure you brief yourself on cutting, trimming and drilling plexiglas. It really helps if you do the work when the material is nice and warm. I don't want to hear moans of agony from 'down under,' if you crack your new windshield. Dan

Bernie, I think I'm missing something.......are you heading to the U.S.? If you are, I'd find out how much 'stuff' you could haul back and forth. It might be cheaper to pay Qantas or whoever a few more $$ than have to freight it later. Get all your items lined up and make one decent haul back home. Dan

Thanks Guys,
Gary, really looking forward to seeing your project, it will be good to make the comparison.
Dan, Yes I will be in your fine country in 4 weeks, with a long list!!! I have found a freight company in Australia which import old US cars - (they are very popular here) this company always have extra room in their containers and will ship from Lax to Melbourne for $50 per box, which is pretty good, as long as I don't mine waiting a few weeks. My Propeller cost $670 to ship to Kent Tarver- so 50 bucks is working for me!! ( Just got to get the stuff to CA)
Yes, I have carefully read all material on working with plexiglas and intend to show great caution!!! I use to fit windshields to the Australian aircraft called the "Nomad" but they were over 3/8" thick and we had jigs to trim them. GA windshields are a different story. I will order a windshield from Cee Baileys in the next few days.
Bernie

Iam familiar with the Nomad, two Allison C20 turbines. The same precautions exist with thinner material on the windshields. Get a long list of AN hardware, fabric, "dope," etc that you'll need. If you will email me directly, I give you my best contact on Consolidated [stitts] supplies, which is in Southern California. Dan

Back