wing fairing attachment holes in wing

N14909

How and what material do you use to fill in these holes so the proper size #6 screw will tighten in the hole. These holes are in the wood wing, also the holes that hold the front and aft gear door housing on. In some places I swear there are # 12 screws used. No love used on this plane for a long time. I hope I get a response from someone on this. Thanks

There are a couple ways you could go about it. One is to fill the holes with an epoxy, then redrill the holes out to the proper size for a #6 screw. The other way is to epoxy some type of nut plate or tinnerman nut on the back side. I suppose epoxying a riv nut in place and never squeezing it down would work too. The main problem with epoxyin something in place is that you have to have access to both sides of the material, which isn't always possible, and that if the epoxy breaks loose it is going to be almost impossible to get the screw out without doing more damage. For what it's worth, mine seems to have a combination of all three methods, however it's seems to be working quite well. Good Luck!

I've purchased a 1/4" hardwood wood dow from the local hardware store, cut into lengths about the same thickness as the old wood. Drilled the bad holes out with a quarter in drill. Glue the 1/4" wood dows into the 1/4" hole using Cascophen glue. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/cascophen.php This is the same stuff the factory used. If you want to get fancy use tapered drill bits and drill holes to proper depth. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tapered+drill+bits&tag=googhydr-20&index=tools&hvadid=4074665095&ref=pd_sl_56j0ziyam9_b
To avoid stripping holes in future always snug up wood screws by hand. No electric screw drivers. Screws should hold for 20 years or more. Hope this helps! :D

Thanks Glenn for the reply, I was as interested in what type of glue to use as anything, you are the second person to suggest that type of glue. When the weather cools off a little I will start my next Viking TLC project, just did a top overhaul, then flew to Air Venture AKA Oshkosh. Had head winds going and coming, but still made the trip in 7 hours from San Antonio, to Madison. Thanks again.

Back