Wing fuel tank removal

Hi Guys,

6RJ (14-19) has developed a tank leak on the right side, did a search on the site for anything to watch out for, didnt find anything. Any gotcha items would be appreciated, not really looking forward to removing it but one of those things.

Thanks
Dan

I had to pull the left tank when I started on my 14-19-2 due to a hydraulic line that has been perforated by a scat hose laying on top. Mine still had the cotton fabric so it was easy to peel the fabric back. Should be wood putty over each screw, I can't remember spacing but they are easy to spot. Be careful peeling the tape from the fuse so not to harm the side fabric or you will be sorry. I would check all fittings before pulling the tank, including drains, you could just have something leaking there. My Cruise AIr started leaking five gallons out of the right tank after I bought it. That turned out to be a screw someone put through the top skin to hold the stiffener and it protruded out about an eighth of an inch after being walked on a few times a hole appeared. I pulled it and cleaned the tank then welded the hole up. Good luck...Greg

Thanks Greg. I have checked all the fittings etc, definitely some other kind of problem, the wings have been microballooned and filled so there is a fair amount of material to remove over the screws, what did you find under the cover on how the tank is restrained? Thanks, Dan

I don't want to insult you by suggeting simple stuff.....but do you have an access cover over the fuel qty. sender on yours so that you can check if that gasket is shot? (maybe even cut a hole there to check it out? and install inspection cover later. My 14-13-2 has a gasket between filler cap and tank that could be shot. also a vent line just inboard of filler that gets stepped on and could have a crack there (mine is accessable by taking filler cap cover apart)? buen suerte Ken.the yard dog A%P.......

I believe your acces holes have all been cover tokeep out water and add speed to the plane. I looked the your plane some time last fall before I found the 14-91-2 I have now. You really need to make sure and repaint under the stripe they put on, when I looked under the baggage compartment I could see light coming through the fabric where the strip was. I told the previous owner about this and they acted like I was crazy. Their attitude was what put me off of buying it. Good luck with the micro filling and painting. You should be able to blend it in and make it look good. Greg

Tank cover is off now, no leak at the fuel sender or on the sides that I can see, will pull the tank next week.
Thanks
dan

This is not a fun topic. However, if you have removed your tank and the leak location is not obvious, then follow these instructions and you'll find it [them]. Plug all drains and ports with metal or plastic plugs. Use duct tape to seal the output hose of your shop vac into the filler neck of your tank. Take a small bowl of water and a tablespoon of dish soap, mixed up well and with a small, soft brush take this mixture to every corner, seam, and rosette. If you have a leak, you'll see bubbles. BTW.........never apply compressed air to your tank. You could destroy it. Dan

Well, tank is out and there are four, five or six cracks that need welded. The main four are from the spotwelds on the bottom of the tank where the rear baffle runs along the bottom of the tank. Obviously from 58 years of flexing due to the weight of the fuel horizontal cracks have appeared through four of the seven spotwelds. Access holes and drains are fine, no problem with them.
dan

Make sure and clean the tank extremly well and use a car wash with detergent to help get the residue out or you will get a bang when welding. We welded up some Howard tanks a few years back and the car wash with heavy detergent worked really well. We also flowed Argon through the tank as we TIG welded it....Greg

Dan, there is one more thing...after it is welded, check it a second time for leaks. I'm restoring a 14-13-2 and was told that I should check the fuel tanks for leaks prior to covering the wings. It was good advice as I had a very small leak. I had it welded and my friends told me to check it again. Yes, we found another very small leak coming from the weld. The third time I checked it, everything was fine. :D
Gary

Tank is back in, after it was welded, I removed all of the paint from all of the spot welds on the tank and laid PRC compound in about 1" lines to cover all of the spot welds, the idea is if any of them crack again hopefully the PRC will prevent a leak. I also folded waxed paper and used latex foam to keep the tank in place where I wanted it, if it ever has to come out, yes I will have to dig it out but with the waxed paper it will not be stuck to the wood. On to filling, fiberglassing, and painting.

Back