Wing jackpoints on a 14-19-2

kitepilot

Hello all...
In the process of annualing "Pinky", can't figure out how to jack her up.
Thanks!
ET
http://kitepilot.com/N9833B/P_20170514_170800.jpg
http://kitepilot.com/N9833B/DSC_0004.JPG

Tom would be proud to see it still having fun, Just talked to him this morning had a question on my 14-13, just took it off the jacks. The bottom cover from wing to fuselage if you take that off, I jacked mine where the wing attaches the fuselage, before and after the big bolt, my jacks have a support that is cut out for the bolt area to set on. Hope this helps. Oh by the way Tom picked up another one recently, he said he is going to call it the Bat mobile??

kitepilot said:
Hello all...
In the process of annualing "Pinky", can't figure out how to jack her up.
Thanks!
Hi Enrique... unfortunately they did not include a welded on jack point on the 14-19-2 as they did with the later model "nosedraggers". A few of the -2 Cruisemasters have had the jack point added, which is a really helpful add-on. You will want to jack the plane from the forward spar carry-thru. As tj mentions you need to fashion a small "cradle" that will securely support the carry-thru tube and attach to your jack. Do not place the pressure point on the spar brackets; only on the main carry-thru tube. Please be careful as aircraft have been known to slip off the jacks... and you have already had enough excitement for the year! --Rob

What Ralph said!
I've built two pair of these jacks. I use a hydraulic bottle jack to lift the center column, and I drilled holes across the column tube to use a Philips screwdriver for safe holding in the 'up' position.

Just completing my own annual with focus of replacing springs in gear, I experimented with several jack and engine lift configurations before welding up a custom bracket that saddled the metal frame and and bolts. Imagine a pipe to slip over jack post with a c-channel with cut outs to allow clearance of bolts and wiring to wing. I am traveling and not able to provide dimensions only a single poor angle.

Hi Koblas... welcome to the forum and nice custom solution to the jacking problem. Now that you have made a contribution here tell us more about yourself and maybe some pictures of your aircraft. Thanks! --Rob

Apologies for late reply - work delayed a visit to the hanger to get additional pics. N7691B and I are now based in Houston TX, exploring the area and interested to find other Cruisemasters in the region.
Originally attempting to lift with ad hoc designed blocks of wood - I became uneasy - and after a pause, hanger talk, and assistance from Jason Paradis, from A&P BCC register, the following brackets were fabricated on the go. The design is not engineered, but it cradles the lifting point providing clearance to hull, electrical wires and spar bolt. I am sure this is not an original creative solution - but it has provided me additional confidence working underneath, accessing cockpit, and performing gear tests. The pics and drawings may assist others in fabricating if they see design a value. - drawings were an afterthought and are no means professional.

Andrew

Back