wing strut loose 7GCBC?

tkearns

When I tug on either strut pulling the plane out of the hangar I get a light "clunking" sound. My mechanic tightened them for me but I still notice it a bit. This doesn't seem normal. :?

The airframe only has 160 hrs on it...but I'll check. So I'm clear, there should be NO movement whatsoever, period?

Fore and aft, airplanes after 1990 will have play. This is not the direction that airloads are and its also not hurting it.

Basically, the strut attach fittings have a longer cantellever

so bottom line is if all looks good and healthy and things are tight, live with a tiny bit of clunking fore and aft?

Yup

The 3-1692 strut attach fittings have a long connection between mounting points to clear the spar cap at that weird angle. The old fittings were much tighter, but they were asymetrical and that caused the strut loads to twist the part as well as the bending from out of plane (spar attach on one plane, strut attach on another, about 1/2 inch apart).

Suffice to say...if your holes are all nice and clean..your strut fittings are fine.

Jerry, to clarify the previous posts, you are talking about the upper main strut fitting where it goes into the wing? I have a 73 7KCAB I am rebuilding I purchased new wings from ACA for. Just wanted to make sure I am on the same page with you. Thank you, David Johnson

Back