Wings

cruiseair74372

Is there anybody out there that has a good set of wings for a cruiseair that is not 2000 miles from Dallas Texas. I am going to start to put together a 14-13 I have hanging in a hangar. I have a set of landing gears, just need the wings. We just took a trip to Superior Wis from Ft Worth and after 16 hrs round trip my wife says to put the other plane together with a bigger engine than my 0-360. She wants a minimum of a 170 kts. All I can say is this not an opportunity to spend money on a plane? :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Randy: A gentleman here in Spudbillyland has a 14-19-2 that is all rebuilt, but not reassembled. He has an 10-470 out of a Cessna 310 (260hp ) That would be a 170k airplane. He appears to be stalled on the project.....& it is too rich for me. Yesterday I bought 18 gallons of 100 octane for a mere $83 for a Supercub .....so I am giving up on going fast. Ken McCune

I dunno....most Vikings are not 170kt airplanes and they have 300hp. Even 201 Mooneys can't do that, nor can the bulk of the Cessna 210 fleet .

Then, as Ken notes, is the matter of cash. I wish I could find an old Aviation Consumer article in which they calculated the cost per knot above 100kts. It was one of those WTF moments, and written during the two buck Avgas era. Nowadays it makes more sense to find the most favorable winds aloft, throttle back, lean judiciously, and enjoy the view :)

Jonathan

I really don't care about fuel cost. It is what it is. I have given up Boats, Cars ,Smoking and having more than one woman in my life. I am lucky because I have a very good friend that is an AP/IA and he lets me do all my own work on my plane.

I owned a Viking with a IO520 and at 10000 22/25 160K all it would do. I am not saying this litely. We just made a trip from Fort Worth to Superior MN in my 14-13-2 from engine start to stop round trip ( this includes taxi and idol time) 16.5 hrs 2175 miles. On the way home my wife told me to buy a faster Bellanca and since I can't find a Viking in my price range ( I don't want to part with my 14-13-2 ) I am going to try to find a 14-19-? I can aford to buy and put together. Do you know how much for the 14-19 ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Life is good :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know entirely too much - more than I want to know - about 14-19s, Randy. Much of this is due to my stubborn insistence on getting a 14-19 instead of a 14-19-2. The earlier one has an orphan engine, a prop Hartzell wishes it never made, along with an earlier philosophy on engine cooling - shared by all aircraft manufacturers at the time - that was often lacking.

If you get a -2, you'll get a Contental O-470, superb cooling, a contemporary constant speed prop, 40 more HP, and a climb rate exceeding 1500 fpm, and closer to 2000 when lightly loaded. Fuel consumption is the same for both models (12/gal/hr). In 14-19s with severe heat problems you cannot lean. They they can burn as much as 14 gal/hr.

A well rigged 14-19 is faster for the horsepower, but it certainly doesn't climb as well. Figure on 1000-1200 fpm depending on load, and 140kts (160mph) cruise. The -2 will cruise in the 140-150kt. range, though I've seen one reach 155kts using the fuel injected O-470 making 260hp.

Both have two, 20 gal (18 useable) wing tanks, and most also have an aux tank holding 14 gals (all useable). A 25gal aux tank was an option seldom chosen. Thus these bigger aux tanks are very hard to find.

Basically you have a slightly less efficient pre-201 Mooney that can do lots of things a Mooney can't. The Bellanca 14-19-2 (a.k.a. Bellanca 230) was the last high performance, 4 place conventional gear GA aircraft made.

I'm sticking with my 14-19 for reasons that don't seem to matter to anyone but me :) These were the last of the New Castle, DE airplanes made by Guiseppe Mario Bellanca's company. It's certain a Sicilian would never have chosen the name Viking, as the Vikings have not attacked Sicily in roughly 1000 years. Viking is more a Minnesoda name :wink:

What's amazing is that G.M.'s basic airframe that began with the Junior in the '30s could gracefully accept massive upgrades in weight and complexity over sixty five subsequent years.

And there you have more than you ever wanted to know, Randy :oops: 14-19s are in the 30-35k range unless you choose a dog which - please trust me - you do not want to do unless the wood is excellent and you plan on making it a -2. In that case you can find something solid with a useless engine for 15-20k. A drop-dead beauty, such as the 14-19 Vic Steelhammer had, was worth 45k or more, but show planes always are worth a premium.

14-19-2s run in the 40-50k range; 25k for one that has sat for too long, but has sat in a hangar. You can make a 14-19 a -2 pretty much by dumping the O-435 and installing an O-470 but you must use a -2 cowl. Drew Peterson's award winning Cruisemaster began life as a 14-19 and was converted. Many have.

When you head off to grab a 10k prospective project that's been sitting in a barn the past two decades or more, the drill is the same as for all 14 series aircraft: look at the wood, inspect the wood, run a moisture test on the wood, and knock on wood.

Jonathan

I have a 14-19 restoration under way. Does anybody know of an STC to convert to a 14-19-2?

Thanks,

David York
Mobile, AL N6557N (s/n 2010)

Back