winter flying

tangogawd

Hey guys,
I'm new to General Aviation, and I just bought a 7ECA. I am wondering what you guys do when flying in the winter months. I live in Fairbanks Alaska. I currently have a buddy heater warming up the engine compartment, which works better than I expected. I do have skis, but am yet to try them out. Tips would be good. Are there any winter fronts that I could maybe purchase? What is a good way to de-ice (de-frost) wings?

thanks
Sonny

hi, i'm curious, what kind of skis do you have? i too am looking for winter kits to keep the engine warmer in flight. i have since heard the way to do it is limit the exit at the bottom of the cowl. i have heard but not seen another plane where i live that has this done. not sure on this though.
maybe others will chime in here with suggestions.

Sonny,

I've got a Cub that we've been throwing on skis when there's enough snow down here. I would find someone local who's done skis before to check your rigging and maybe go for a ride with you. There's no real mystery to it, just a few idiosyncrasies. It takes a BIG radius to do a 180 degree turn on the ground. When you're moving it around on the ground by lifting the tail up, be sure that you're moving forward or back before trying to turn it. It's easy to start twisting the gear leg with the additional arm that the skis have. Remember, no brakes. We leave the tail ski off the Cub for brakes, but then you have to watch the depth of the snow so you don't start beating on the tail wires. When you park, lift up the front of the ski and throw a piece of wood or a chock under it otherwise it will freeze solid to the ground.
Enjoy yourself.

I've done alot of talking with folks here. we've had snow for a little bit now and I practiced wheel landings never using brakes, not even for turning. but snow is deep now, ski's are in the process of being installed. I had the skis and rigging checked out in the pre-buy. the rigging was all new and over built. I'm working on getting the new axles on now.

As far as winter fronts go, I found a set on CL, and bought them. the previous owner had them for decades and bought them from a store. I will be taking photos and measurements for everyone to make them. I need practice in making diagrams. they are just sheet metal, easily fabricated.

Hey Sonny,

Would sure like pix or a drawing of the winter fronts if/when you get them. We've moved from the grass strip to hard surface, so will be flying our Citabria more this winter. Thanks!

Jim

i was out flying today and still need to find a solution to keep my oil temps up. i've heard of an adjustable type slider that goes on the exit of the cowl. i have no oil cooler on the plane, just simply a 2" pipe directing air to the oil filter. by blocking that air to the oil filter, will that help keep the temps up?
i've heard not the block the intake side of things which does make sense to me as my cyl temps seem OK.
thanks

hmmm... does anyone read this site anymore?

i managed to find a winter baffle that i believe is for a champ. it limits the flow of air on exit on the bottom of the cowl. doesn't quite fit the way the other one i saw fit though. there is a lip at the bottom of the cowl and the baffle i saw actually bolted on to the outside and then the cover could be adjusted down depending on how much opening you wanted. that isn't going to work in this case but am wondering about on the inside of the cowl.

I think either they're getting ready for Christmas or out playing in the snow..plenty of snow opportunity in NE Ohio. I would be interested in seeing what the baffle(?) looks like. Thanks!

Jim
N9140L

Back