Wobble pump

cttully

I went out today to fly my 14-19-2 after a three month layoff, only to find that I couldn't get fuel pressure from the wobble pump. This has happened before on occasion but I have always been able to start the engine anyway. This time, since I was unable to prime, it just wouldn't start. I guess it's time to rebuild the wobble pump.
Does anyone else have experience with this problem? Any thoughts on getting it started?

Chuck

when I first got my plane the wobble wouldn't work dry. I found that the gas was slowly oozing out through the drain valve at the bottom of the gascolator so there was no fuel from the wobble to the gascolator-but still fuel sitting in the carb so it would start. It would take 3 days for that 10 odd ounces of fuel to disappear check to see that the gascolator and the carb drains both have good seals. that might be a cheap fix. I fixed mine and now there is always fuel in the wobble, so it always works when I'm ready to start or prime. I still worry that if the engine driven pump should die, I might not get fuel going again with the wobble-I don't think it's likely that the wobble would be dry under those circumstances (unless I then ran a tank dry)

In the mid '80s my wobble pump died and I could not find any replacement pumps or rebuild kits. So I did some detective work and came up with the information that the wobble pump on my '47 14-13-2 was the same as a "1938 Dart Truck".

I was able to find a kit (R-115) from ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS CELLAR. I just checked and the company is on the web:

http://www.then-now.com/

Click on CELLAR at the top of the page.

Worked for me.

Joel

I had Greg Lucas rebuild my engine driven pump. When I looked at my wobble pump it looked like the same pump with a handle on it.

Kevin

My pump was changed out before I got the plane. I believe at the same time the O-360 was installed. It is now an electric pump. I have had to use it on landing before and am glade I did not have to deal with a wobble pump.

I think the only reason I do not say much on this site is I can not type. :D :D :D

My triple tail has a wobble pump (with a placard designating it a "Wabble Pump") but it also has an aux (Bendix I think) electric fuel pump. My hand pump is so-so, but I can use it to get the pressure up before starting the engine. Sometimes I simply feel lazy and hit the aux switch....if I'm not worrying about the state of my battery.

Normally I'd say that we should all consider electric aux/standby fuel pumps but the paperwork....oy vey...the paperwork. The notion of my engine driven pump giving out and having to fly the airplane while working that hand pump - all the way to the next airport, into the pattern, through flap actuation, gear lowering, lining up for the landing, and such - would be comical if it wasn't a serious matter.

Jonathan

PS - to be fair to the previous owner who labeled my hand pump as the Wabble, I've seen both Wobble and Wabble in print.

My IA had me install an electric pump made by Facet. The Birmingham FAA folks basically said "if Harold says it's OK, we'll say it's OK." THAT's SERVICE :D
No wobble pump at all in 392 now.

Speaking of fuel problems, here's an article from the old Bellanca website that bears repeating. Don't know who wrote it.

14-19-2 Service Difficulty

One of our members had a very scary inflight emergency in his 14-19-2. The gage line running from the selector valve to the fuel pressure gage developed a hole under the "Adel" clamp up under the instrument panel. Sprayed gas everywhere. Fortunately, no fire and he was able to safely land. So check this line under the panel. He said that it was corroded under friction tape under the clamp. So if you have a 14-19, you should check this possiblity.
After sending the above notice, I received this from another member...

"When I purchased my 14-19-3a, there was a pin hole under the black tape on the main fuel line in from the wings where it was taped to avoid chaffing from the cables running over it. I then found that corrosion was common under the tape in other places. It had a continous oooz under the tape. This might be something to look into. Remember mine was from FL and had corrosion everywhere anyway but it seemed that it like to collect in dark places like under this tape."

So I know I'm going to check my plane for friction tape wrapped on the fuel lines. You should too!

The guys at the Bellance factory tell the tale of a man who was visiting Mexico when his fuel pump went on his 14-13-2. He flew it from mexico to Alexandria, MN using nothing but the wobble pump and had no problems at all. :D

I'll bet if was fun when the left hand was busy with the wobble pump and the right hand was busy with the gear handle. Maybe his teeth were on the yoke?

Kevin

I've heard the wobble pump is quite effective. Takes about a stroke a minute to keep the engine running. None-the-less I opted for a facet when mine started leaking. It wasn't a big deal with the DuPage FISDO 4 years ago.

Gosh, I'm the original poster and I get all of those nice replies, and I haven't even said thanks. Thanks.

My wobble pump is now primed. It was quite easy. Break the line forward of the firewall and siphon some fuel from the left tank to the sump. Then you can get prime and start the engine. Once the engine driven pump kicks in, no problem.

The guy I bought the plane from had the engine quit right after takeoff after an annual. No fuel pressure. He was able to bring it around the pattern on the wobble pump. I hadn't heard how often you would need to stroke it to keep it running but it makes sense that you wouldn't have to work as hard to maintain pressure as to build up pressure.

Chuck

Back