Wobble Pump

lwford

The crate developed a problem where I would lose the prime on the wobble pump and no fuel pressure. This was not to big a deal as downstream I have Dukes fuel boost pump that was put on before I owned the crate. I turn on the electric pump and that would prime the wobble pump and I would have fuel pressure in order to prime the engine. Then months later, no prime on the wobble and the Dukes electric so I was not able to prime the engine for start. Desperate men do desperate deeds. Start cranking the engine turn on the electric pump and wobble your arm off until all three pumps finally get fuel and the engine fires. I found that the Dukes boost pump has a check valve in it and that was the problem. Costly to fix but now the wobble pump is always primed. That Dukes was s/n 1 so it had plenty years of service. I remember the previous owner telling me that the engine fuel pump failed on him and he wobbled for 60 miles to get back to base. He then had Weber install the Dukes in line with the wobble pump. There of course is nothing in the logs or paperwork on this install and I was told that the -3 has this arrangement. No matter as I logged it in the book as being overhauled with the 8130 just like it was original equipment. Lynn the crate

I had similar trouble with the wobble pump on the 'Blue Beauty'. In my case, the packing nut on the shaft could not be tightened enough because the pump was mounted too far behind the panel. I took the assembly apart and mounted the pump farther out so the packing nut could be tightened enough to prevent the pump from sucking air.
I like the idea of an electric fuel pump, and have seen a Facet cube cleverly mounted in a local Cruisemaster.

I have the STC that was done on my 14-13-2 and they removed the wobble pump when the electric pump was added, I sent out a few copies to people that had wanted them, the original was done on tissue paper so the copies where done in three pieces.

Back