Woodward Governor Linkage

Rob58

Fellow Continental powered Cruisemaster owners, I need some advice… I am in the process of overhauling my Woodward D210105 governor. This effort caused me to study the linkage arrangement interfacing the prop cable to the governor. As shown in the attached image the purpose of the linkage is to transfer motion from the prop cable, which sits close to the engine, to the control arm on the governor. Other aircraft that use this same governor route the prop cable on a more direct path to the control arm completely eliminating the need for this type of linkage. The design used by Bellanca is marginal, but it does work. However the execution is very bad IMO. The main shaft of the linkage is hollow tubing which is supported in two place through steel brackets without any bushings. Therefore over time the shaft has worn through half the wall thickness and the entire unit has considerable excess play. My question is: do your installations look the same? Appreciate any feedback!

My one is exacty the same.
Also noticed that marginal design, but left as is at this point.
Will do something with that next year I hope.
Idea is to manufacture rear support bracket for the tube and to use small bearing at the end of the shaft.

mine is not the same. on mine, the cable is routed directly to the governor control arm. i don't have a picture, but the cable is anchored on the intake manifold with some special clamps, i don't know how to describe them, it's like a double clamp, one around the manifold and one to clamp the cable. you're right, it is hard to get it secured just right, but it works fine. there is not paperwork describing the change in the logs, and nobody around knows how it's supposed to be, so it passed inspection just fine. you might have to try several routing alternatives to find one where it doesnt bind and reaches far enough. when i got my plane all the control cables were not installed and i had nothing to go on so i had to try several routes for all 3.

i would have to take the prop off to get a good picture, i don't have a split nose bowl, so you'll just have to use your imagination. actually it looks a lot like the setup on a viking, as i recall. i think i do have a different cable, maybe it's a little longer.

hope this helps.

bobg

Thanks Ivan & Bob.

Bob, it doesn't surprise me that the factory routing scheme has been changed somewhere along the way. No need for a picture as your explanation paints the picture quite well.

This was exactly my goal in posting the question - just to see if other ships have implemented a different cable attach method. Thanks again!

Back