Worried.

Gary Brink

Hey! I'm starting to worry about all of you Bellancaphiles! I'm not sure if everyone died or just this forum. Doesn't anyone have anything to ask/gripe/complain about or just sound off? :?
Gary

Gary, I have much to share/ask/comment on. I have just been busy with work. As a reminder I am trying to get a 14-13 flying again and am just about done with the fuselage. Then on to the wings. I will have alot of wing questions coming up in a few weeks.

Hope all is well.

RT

I checked the early Bellanca forum and you are correct, Dan. I thought the reason for so few responses is because you have all of the early Bellancas that are left. :D
Gary

Gary, it seems that between the two of us we have one amazing airplane...

I just left my shop after finishing the fitting of the boot cowl, cowling and engine mount. Ready to install the engine now, probably next weekend. Maybe even a test run to boost the morale. Who knows...

Cheers.

RT

Not much to say here. Until my wife goes back to work, 392 will sit unfinished. Just not enough moolah to finish it AND pay all the bills :?
All I can do is collect the odd piece now and then for spares.

I'll add my progress report. NC74233 has her fuselage, flaps ailerons and left horizontal and fin through the first brush coat. The left elevator and trim tab are through silver. The only structure needing cover now is the left horizontal and fin and they are in work now. After the fabric is through silver I will start the sheet metal repairs on the door and cowlings. '233 still has the old "elephant ears" for horizontal fins and they are interesting to cover. Wing fabric is not being replaced since it doesn't bear aerodynamic load and this is an Inspect-and-Repair-As-Necessary project rather than a full-out restoration. I'd never get it finished if I were to try to completely restore it. Wing fabric is being repaired as necessary. I'll replace it at a later date when I have more money to spend on it. Hope to be flying next year sometime.

It sounds like you are making great progress, Dave. When I started my restoration, the guys at Bellanca told me to take the fuel tanks out to make sure I didn't have a leak. I really didn't want to open up the wings but I did and sure enough one of the tanks was leaking. My advice is to find a way to check your tanks in the wing if possible. I think I know how I would do it now but as it turned out I would have had to open up one wing anyway.
Gary

I would say check the tanks, unless you know for sure that they didn't leak earlier. I would also say that it would be difficult to impossible to do a valid inspection while in the wing. As long as you are doing some patching and touchup prior to paint, you might as well pull the tanks. I don't know what covering system you are using, but remember that the Poly Fiber materials will NOT be compatible with any "dope" system!
If you want an essay on fuel tank inspection that anyone can do at home.......let me know

Back