20 Gal Aux Fuselage Tank in 14-19-2

Glenn, be careful you might get just what you asked for! I just finished covering my fuselage and this process is no joy. Looks to me like the tank was slid into the side of the plane before covering. I got a 14 gal. Good luck on this project. I'm making progress but feel I'm months behind. LYNN N9818B the crate :mrgreen:

Marc at White industries is a great guy, he set me up with a complete set of clevelands for my airplane and the price was right.

Joe

Glenn hope you get the tank installed. Wish there was an easier way to get the wing tanks installed. My bird has the wing tanks 2-18's 2-17's 1-14 but installing them from the bottom side of the wing is just one problem the other is that they are plumbed through a welded tube that is required in the inboard tank. so all four have to be opened up to get the job done. I was lucky to have bought a bird that had the work done by weber years ago. Allthough some mention earlier of the fact that they are nice to have but don't get used very often is true. But when you need that security or just want to round trip without fuel it is nice. I made a 3.5 hr trip from Redding Ca to Canada and when I stopped at customs I still had 2 full main tanks plus a little more for the crossing, that was nice. Or when your running out of daylight and don't want to stop for fuel but for safety reasons you should, the added range can save you many stops. But I still have never had the ability to go the 7 hours but might try some day. Brian

Brian,

Any chance that your 14-19-2 used to belong to Al DeFranco? His -2 had the 4 tanks in the wing.

He stopped to visit my family in Mobile years ago, and we visited their beach house in Jekyl Island, Georgia.

Al and Rose are super people, but I'm afraid that I lost track of them several years ago.
I would love to reestablish contact.

Dave York

I remember the name Defranco, but I used to do long searches trying to find all the -2's owners, and maybe I saw the name then. I bought my bird from a guy in alaska his ownership went back to 1976 and the previous owner died in a PA 12 accident and the logs for my -2 were burned in the PA 12 so I don't have any records. Brian

My old records show Defranco as 9808B with no other info. I could not find anyone that knew anything about his. The only other one I am familiar with is Drew petersons, but i am sure there are more. Thats a good question for a round table or forum to see how many have aux tanks and what kind. Brian

From what I remember about what Al DeFranco told me, he had gone to the factory to have Viking tanks installed in his 14-19-2.

I think the last time I saw Al and his plane was in the early 1990s at Jekyll Island, GA. He kept it in a hangar there.

Dave York

INteresting to note that his -2 wing aux tanks were installed at the factory. Mine were done by Weber and I don't know who did Petersons but I wonder if anyone other than the factory has done that tank install? I still have the bill for mine, it was about $7,000 I think for the recover, major, clevelands, tanks and extended baggage with ski tube. Wouldn't that be cool. Brian

Glenn, where does the flap cable run? Is it above or below the aileron bellcrank on the fuselage? All the pictures I took and I didn't get the routing of the flap cable. I need this to install gussets as I'm into the pink and pressing on hard! LYnn :roll:

Lynn - The cable is below the aileron bell crank and above the structural members. There is a rubber abrasion pad that the cable occasionally touches. Pics are on the way, as is my fuel tank. When I get into that I'll have access to most of the fuselage if you need more info.

Hi Guys,
Just a word of caution I just removed my 15 gal Aux tank today and was surprised to find the port rudder cable had made contact with the bottom of the tank and there was quite a wear mark. It is a difficult area to see with the rear seat in place. I am annoyed I didn't find this earlier!!!
Worth a look
regards
Bernie

It's annual time, so I exposed the fuselage fuel tank for removal, unscrewed the filer neck, removed the box at the filler neck, and decided changing the tank out was an impossible task. The 14 Gallon tank is 38 inches wide. It has to go through a 36 inch openning. There is about a 1/2 inch of wiggle room left and right to fabric. The only way the tank will come out is through the side of the fuselage. The 20 gallon tank is 36 inches wide and looks like it could go in OK.

Glen, I was just looking over these old posts and wondered how the installation of the 20 gal, tank worked out? Did you go in the side or through the cabin?______Grant.

The 20 gal tank is in storage until I recover the fuselage. I decided it was not worth cutting fuselage fabric to get the old 20 gal tank out.

Back