Advice?

That was kinda my point, Kevin....the other side of the lament, eh? You put it rather better, brother.

I neglected to congratulate you on OSH, by the way. Now...if you'd just come to Lee Bottom I could do so properly.

Thanks, Jonathan, I am hopping to make it to Lee Bottom again this year if I get back into town in time. If not the Bellanca may make it without me with a fiend of mine behind the yoke. His name if Jonathan also. If I get back later in the day and he has already taken it down then I can hop in the Ercoupe.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, so that was you at OSH. Came by several times hoping to catch you and get some first hand info, missed you but did talk to your buddy who spoke of your fondness for the aircraft. The guy in MI was asking $14000, felt like you that it was too much plane for the money not to buy, but thinking different now. Rich

Taking a brief break here for any serious discussion of buying Cruisairs. Let's see this began with your interest in aerial application flying, Richard.

This from the site of a Viking pilot who loves to post videos of his flights....but this is not a Viking :) Sorry...it's a FAT one. You really need broadband for it, alas.

http://www.160knots.com/Video/Santa%20Paula.wmv

Jonathan

Okay, back to the subject. Watching some guys buzz canyon walls around Santa Paula in a Stearman is fun to see but hardly pertinent.

I did encounter a very nice Cruisair once for 12k - a VERY nice one - but it turned out to involve something rather illegal. The seller buys airplanes, never turns in the Bills of Sale, hides them, and dumps them whenever they might be discovered (California taxes such things and they have folks poking around airports looking). He had no pilots license under the name he gave me, wanted cash, and so forth. He had a much higher value airplane he said he needed to "get inside" and wanted rid of the Bellanca in a hurry. I passed because I didn't really have any proof the aircraft even belonged to this guy and didn't have any proof he was even based where he was showing the aircraft to me.

The person who did buy it showed up at Columbia one year with his son. Perfectly legitimate fellow, having a good time with his airplane. He submitted his Bill of Sale and had plenty of questions to answer when the seller's name turned out to be fictitious. Another example of the "if it's too good to be true" principle. At least it was not a stolen aircraft, even though there is a common scam involving people passing stolen aircraft off onto people by asking absurdly low prices, or sellers who got burned when the buyer never submitted the Bill of Sale, used the airplane as a drug runner, dumped it, the DEA found it, and traced it back to the seller who had probably done nothing remotely illegal in his entire life.

Just more variations on a theme, of course, but this was one you won't find in any aircraft buying guide, that's for sure.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, Finally got the video to load, pretty neat. I keep looking for some problem like the one you describe in your last posting, but ownership and such seems to check out fine. Biggest concern is why the owner doesn't want to fly it, I suppose that it is possible that he just doesn't trust himself ,he has done 2 landings with the gear up by his own addmision, but I'm pretty leary. Richard

That guy is simply having too damned much fun in that video :evil:

I didn't mean to suggest the deal involved anything shady or illegal. Was just another in the award winning series, "If It's Too Good to be True..."

We have a different but similar problem with a guy at our airport. He's looking for either a Decathlon or a 150hp Citabria. Keeps looking at the ones with the lowest prices only. Keeps finding issues. No shock there but he wants to use it for AEROBATICS....not something you buy a beater for.....time builder, maybe, but not aerobatics.

Jonathan

Back