Aeromatic Adjustment

So...I've been playing around with my prop weights...

I added a -3 weight to things with the -4 weight off center. It pulls about 2600rpm on takeoff, but I'm now getting 23"MP at 2600rpm in cruise and 140mph.

She really goes, but I'd like a bit more rpm on takeoff. I'm going to try replacing the -3 with a -2 and see how things go.

As a side note, I've been running with about 3oz of marvel mystery oil in my prop hub and draining it after every flight. The mmo comes out a bit dark and after a few days of sitting in a container, a bit of dark substance settles out of the oil. I'm not sure how things may have gotten dirty in the hub, but I'm going to keep flushing it until the mmo comes out clean.

Has anyone else ever run into this?

perhaps worth nothing.. but I think my rpm/mp runs just about square.
although after couple of months grounded I wouldn't swear to it.

I sure don't need more than 2450-2475 to show 137-140 true.. which at few thousand is also indicated.

no clue about the calibration of my tach...

I replaced the -3 weight with a -2 today. I got consistent operation over several flights.

2700rpm on takeoff and 130mph and 20.5"MP at cruise.

Maybe this is the compromise for takeoff performance? I'll try adding a -1 weight to it next to draw the rpm down a bit and see what happens.

Adding a -1 weight brought my takeoff rpm down a bit which I don't like. I drilled a -2 weight off-center and added it to the -4 off-center weight that I already have. Operation seems consistent on takeoff and I'm pulling about 20"MP at 2600rpm at 5000'. I wouldn't mind a bit more MP at cruise, but I don't know if that is possible. Seems like if I add weight it brings takeoff rpm down.

Back